Thursday, December 26, 2013

REPOST: The Mom Gene


Originally posted October 2, 2012...

The "Mom Gene". I saw this story on Good Morning America online after my parents told me about it. They said the story made them think of me and that I should check it out. Did any of you see this? I wasn't sure what to make of it so I had to watch it a couple times. Apparently researchers at Rockefeller University believe that some women are born with a "Mom Gene" that gives them the instincts they need to be good mothers.

I'm not sure if I totally believe that some women are born with a "Mom Gene". I do however, believe that some women are just more maternal than others. Some women are just better with kids than others. I think the way this issue was covered made it seem like women without this gene are bad Moms, or maybe not as good as their Mommy peers. There is a wide range of Moms out there. I talked about that a little in my post about the Smother Mother.

When I was a little girl I knew I wanted to be a Mom, but it certainly wasn't my life goal. I think that I am pretty good and patient with Savannah. I naturally transitioned from a working woman to a stay at home Mom without any problem. Does that mean I have the "Mom Gene"? If a woman chooses not to stay at home, loses patience easily or sends their kid to Grandma's every weekend (cause y'all know that those Moms exist) does that mean that she doesn't have the gene? I always thought that once you became a Mother that instinct to nurture just took over. Even if it's just to do the basics and nothing else.

I'm still trying to form an opinion about the "Mom Gene". I don't quite know what to think of it. I'd like to think that I have it, but I honestly wasn't mommy focused until I got pregnant. I baby sat my younger brothers as a teenager and no one died so I guess I was pretty nurturing then too, right? Does that mean this ability was always in me? What do you think about the "Mom Gene"? Do you think you have it? Do you know anyone who clearly does not?




4 comments:

  1. Well for me, no one is ever too ready to be a mother no matter how much you prepare. It's just really different when you're already dealing with kids. If this "mom gene" is true then I may be the last person to have it as I didn't really see myself becoming a mother and never had patience with kids before, but I got pregnant and now my kid is almost 3 and I believe he's doing fine. :) I agree that maybe there are some moms who are probably better equipped than others, maybe because of several reasons...

    REAlity Bites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I think there are several reasons that make someone good with kids. I don't think I am convinced that there is a Mom gene.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I enjoy reading your posts.

    I think it depends on what they define as having the "mom gene". I like calling it motherly instinct. To me, the little girls that were taking care of their dolls have motherly instincts and some girls do this without their mothers teaching them to. I have seen moms that I feel truly do have the instinct. Then again, I believe every mom has felt like they need to step to the side and take a deep breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. There are girls that have always been good with kids. They loved on their baby dolls and they were really good with their siblings. I can see that as possessing a motherly instinct. I think all Moms have a moment or day when they just need a second. I think that needing to take a deep breath makes us completely human and normal. I don't think it makes a person lack a mother instinct or the "mom gene".

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!