Sunday, December 29, 2013

Preschool at Home: Learning Sight Words

Now that the holiday season is over we are getting back to our routine. Slowly but surely. For Christmas Savannah received a literacy set that focuses on sight words. I will share the set and my review on it in a separate post. It came with DVDs and books. We've started using it but I want to use it a little more before I do a review here.

Anyway. While we were watching the video and reading the books I was trying to think of other ways to get her to recognize her site words. Part of learning to read is recognizing these words without having to figure them out. Since repetition is everything  I thought it would be fun to make large flashcards that can be used in several different ways. This way, not only is she learning to recognize her words but she's also having fun. Double win. Go me.



In this particular picture I put the words down on the floor, called out a word and had her bring the word to me. She really enjoyed this. Savannah thought it was so fun to look for words. She starts a literacy class in a couple weeks and I can't wait to see her turn into a little reader.

The kit that she received for Christmas says that you can start as early as 15 months. When Sav was that age I was teaching her the baby book of 100 words. It didn't include these type of sight words but I think I will start early with BabyM. When you know better, you do better, right?

What do you think about this idea? Have you started doing sight words with your little one?

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great idea. Love it! May actually be able to do this with my little one! Thank you :)

    REAlity Bites

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar by printing out words of things around the house and taping them to the actual things. For instance, I'd print out "door" and tape it to the door. Or "chair," etc. I don't know if it "worked" or not, but it's never a bad idea to have your home filled with letters and words. I suppose it's only "bad" if it becomes too overwhelming or structured where it stresses the kid out. I did this pretty early on like you said, when my oldest kid was a toddler. He's four now and can read btw lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that he's reading! We did all those words (chair, door, car, fridge) using the first 100 words baby book when she was a toddler. Now that I'm trying to help her become a reader I've turned my attention toward the dolch and Fry Instant words. Hopefully I can make learning them fun and she'll take right to them.

      Delete
  3. When my son was almost 3 my husband started teaching him words using refridgerator magnets. They would sing songs and make words, he is now five and he is a geat reader. I also always pointed to the words as I read to him. Once we started reading easy readers when he was 3 he could recognize some of the words. He also started playing Scrabble at 3, since he was use to spelling words with his magnets, it was easy for him to understand how to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrabble is a great idea!!! I may try that with her once she learns these. I found some really good matching games that might help too. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. Sound like a good idea to me too. Providing site words somehow will keep them familiar with the words and spellings. I would want to try this one too to my youngest and see if he could keep up. Thank you for sharing.
    http://it.spinnert.com/kinder-touch/home.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!