Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sleepless with Savannah

As you might recall I featured the pic below in a collection of funny findings I'd seen on the internet. Little did I know that my life would turn into what I'd previously chuckled at. After reading a post on the Curly Mama blog about co-sleeping it got me to thinking a bit more about my own sleeping arrangements. Like Curly Mama, I had never thought of myself as a co-sleeping kind of Mama. As a matter of fact I still don't consider myself as a co-sleeper

After Savannah was born she slept in our room in a bassinet for the first couple months because I was trying to get the hang of breastfeeding. Some nights I would fall asleep with her next to me. She then moved to her own room and her own bed. That's where she had been sleeping with no problem until August when we moved.

Since it took some time for our house in Texas to get ready we stayed with my parents for about three to four weeks. During that time we all slept in the same bed. If I had known then that that was going to completely destroy her sleeping pattern I would have never done it. Since we've been in Texas she has slept in her own bed once. Once. Just once. All of the other nights have been a mix of her sleeping in our bed and me getting up all night and putting her back in her own bed. Exhausting.

This morning was my "aha moment" though. I was talking to Savannah about sleeping in her own bed and sleeping in her own room. I asked her "Where is Savannah's bed?" When she pointed at my bed I knew it was time for me to start sleep training again. I had been hoping she would just come around on her own. We did switch her to a toddler bed but I know that has nothing to do with it. She just wants to sleep with Mommy and Daddy and Mommy is not feeling that at all. Wish me luck. I see a few more sleepless nights in my future. 

Savannah's favorite sleeping positions are "H is for Hell", "Jazz Hands" and "The Stalker".
Credit

12 comments:

  1. Can I just say I almost spit out my water laughing at that graphic. It is the current story of my life with my 9 month old. omg! JAZZ HANDS! I gotta get him out!! I feel your PAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl! I don't know what's it gonna take but I have got to get her out of my bed, LOL! Momma is tired!

      Delete
  2. Lmao! First, thanks for the shout out. Second, I'm so sorry!! That sucks especially when you already got used to your own space. I don't know how I'm going to get Sadie out of our bed so I'm no help...sorry LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sleep training. Hopefully, she'll readjust quickly and everybody can get back to their sleeping patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! I don't know how I'm going to do it but I've got to start getting some sleep, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stalker one cracks me up. I already know how it is. Noah has been getting up a lot more during the night and its wearing on me. I will get up two to three times...if there is a fourth time, he is in the bed with me for the last hour or two of (my) sleep. In the morning, he wakes me up talking and slapping me. I hope that last stretch of family bed does not hurt us more. A mom has to sleep though. I am no good on "E"

    Good luck chica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Well not love, but I love it in the fact that I can feel your pain and trust me YOU are not alone! hahaha My 3 year old has been going thru some stuff and she gets in her bed then sneaks on in some time during the night. So I the "stalker" and "jazz hands" had me seeing myself...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last night was a failure, LOL! I gave up and 2:30am...the struggle is real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, nothing like waking up with a knee AND an elbow in your spine! Fond memories! (Ok, maybe not all that fond)..

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh*

    Little known fact about us: We share a bed with my three-year-old.

    *sigh*

    She slept in her own bed until she was about 10 months. Then we thought it'd be fun to let her sleep with us a few nights...

    Let's just say she never went back. That was three years ago.

    And you'd better believe we're paying for it now.

    So, moral of the story? GET SAV OUT OF YOUR BED. NOW. LOVE HER AT NIGHT FROM AFAR.

    The end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am TRYING!! I need to really commit though. Last night I had an awful headache and I caved and let her stay with us, but this morning I told her from now on she was going to sleep in her own bed, LOL! She said 'ok momma", so we'll see what tonight holds!

      Delete
  10. And yes, that graphic always, always, always, makes me laugh. To keep from crying. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!