Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Natural Hair: A Twist Out

In an effort to keep trying new things with my hair I did a twist out on my hair this past Friday. After watching eight million YouTube videos I got the confidence to give it a shot. I normally do twist outs on Sav's hair all the time. Mainly because it's the only thing I know how to do and secondly because it doesn't take forever to get it done.

I started my own hair by shampooing with Shea Moisture and doing a deep conditioner. I can't remember the name of the deep conditioner but it's the Aloe one in the mustard yellow pack. They sell it everywhere. I then did two strand twist all over using Cantu Shea Butter leave-in conditioner.

I didn't use the hair dryer. I took them out Saturday morning using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and grape seed oil. The grape seed oil that I used wasn't anything fancy. It's an all natural grape seed oil I found in my beauty supply store. The pics below are from days one, three and four (today). Have you tried anything different with your hair lately?


day one

day three before Sav's bath time

natural hair twist out
day four

- posted from my chic iPhone

10 comments:

  1. I just had success for the first time with a twist out too. But I have to keep mine up in a puff w/ a headband or scarf since my edges are so thin. Unfortunately I have to use heat to stretch my hair. My length is only 1 inch when freshly washed, but it's 5 inches when I blow it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I swear by it but I did notice that my hair got thicker when I used the Doo Gro Mega Thickening Oil. I would apply it at night before putting my satin cap on. I saw a few videos on You Tube that talk about stretching out your hair with a blow dryer after doing a twist out or roller set. I've never measured my hair but it is SUPER short when I wear a wash and go. :-) I'm loving the feeling of having "big" hair!

      Delete
  2. Very Cute!!! I think Im going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good- even better day four. My twist outs never last more than a day or two for my liking. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, are you twisting it up before bed? I finally decided to wash it out today and do another one. It looked okay yesterday, but it didn't exactly look like a twist out. It looked more like a curly afro which I liked but I just feel like my hair needs to be washed. Try it again!

      Delete
    2. Yea thats the thing. Once I took it out, I didn't put it back in- due to size. But I did cover it.

      Delete
  4. Girl, you are beautiful! I'm going to try and make it through the natural journey next year. I guess it will comne with trying lots of different products. I see everyone does things a little different.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!