Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kitchenista: Pinto Beans a Fall Favorite

You're probably reading that title and thinking "Why would anyone want to do a recipe that revolves around pinto beans?" Well. I thought almost that exact same thing when I was in high school. It was a snow day and school had been cancelled. I woke up to my Dad in the kitchen stirring a pot of pinto beans. I thought to myself "Yuck, Dad, you really shouldn't have. I don't want any pinto beans." 

They smelled really good but the thought of eating a bowl of beans did not seem desirable. Once my Dad was done cooking I decided to try the beans. Mainly because I was starving but also because he had made cornbread, fried chicken wings and coleslaw to go with it. I figured if I didn't like the beans I could at least chow down on wings and coleslaw. The pinto beans were delicious. They had me at first bite. I have been in love ever since. They are the perfect Fall dinner. Comfort food at its best. Here's how you can make this delicious meal for your own family...

Ingredients
Two and a half cups dry pinto beans
Ham hocks or Ham shanks (1-1.5 lbs) You can use more meat if you want a heartier meal.
One onion, chopped
Salt - one teaspoon

Directions
Before you start cooking make sure you have gone through your bag of beans and picked out any "bad" beans or rocks. Soak the beans in a bowl of water. Place your ham hock or ham shanks in a pot and cover with water. Sprinkle in a teaspoon of salt. Add your onion. Cook on a high boil for one hour. Drain the water off your bowl of beans. Add your beans to the pot with enough water to cover them. Turn stove down to a low simmer/slight rolling boil and cook for four to five hours. Keep watching the pot to make sure your beans are constantly submerged in water. Add water when needed.

my "bad" beans and rocks

soaking beans


ham shanks

ham hocks



done

pinto beans and ham
plated

pinto beans and ham soup recipe
yum

And yes, I served my beans with fried chicken wings and cornbread, just like my Dad does!

5 comments:

  1. Hamhocks? Yummy, lol anything with hamhocks is destined to be delicious, I will have to try this one out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I can dig pinto beans with cornbread....also pinto make good soups and cassoroles! Young mommies dont cook like this these days but I do too#southenchic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's not many young women that still cook like this. I love embracing my Southern roots. It keeps me close to home as we move around.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!