Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Army Wife Life: Being Homesick



Today I am going to share something that has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Some of you might know, but for those that don't, I am an Army Wife. I rarely ever talk about the military here. There's really not much to say. My husband has been in for almost nine years. I have really enjoyed this lifestyle for the most part. Moving constantly is kind of rough but it's also very exciting and you get somewhat use to the adventure.

Up until now I've never really been homesick. We have always been blessed enough to be stationed in driving distance to family. Living this far away from the people that really know you and get you is tough sometimes. Sometimes I just want to meet a friend for lunch without it being a scheduled "date". I just miss the feeling of having friends that are like family. The easiness of that relationship.

pin

Before any military spouses start attacking me about "getting out there" and "meeting people" I just want to say that I am out there and I have met people. I've met a couple great people who I know will be lifelong friends and I've met some people that I wish I hadn't. As an Army Wife I feel like I'm constantly in that "getting to know you" stage of friendships. I have learned that it's a double edge sword. I can either dive right in and become "instant friends" with someone. (which isn't my preference) Or I can take my time getting to know people. The only problem with that is by the time you really become great friends it's time to move again. It sucks.

Anyway. I know I'm not the only Army Wife that feels this way. We have our good days and our bad days. If it wasn't for the few friends that I do have here I'd probably be counting down the days until we move again. Hopefully this post wasn't too all over the place. Does anyone get where I'm coming from?

6 comments:

  1. I'm not an army wife but I can only imagine. We moved from NJ to AZ in 2012 and I still haven't really found friends that I can connect with. There have been 2 attempts at really great friends possibly being in the picture and both of them still don't live anywhere near me. I plan to somehow connect with people again...we have a stay at home moms idea that we're trying to start and get together more in my complex that I hope works out. The woman who is in charge of it is really nice and I can see myself really connecting with her. We have similar ideals and our sons are the same age. If we had to move constantly, I can see it being more of how you explained it, so I totally have a lot of sympathy for you. It's nice to connect with other women to know that you aren't alone I bet...even if it is online. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard meeting people. If this is anything similar to what dating is like I am THAT much happier to be married, LOL! I wouldn't make it! So happy to have the friends that I do. Online and in real life!

      Delete
  2. I wrote this long post and backed out by mistake. ugh. I was going to say that my bond with people here is nothing like with those in NY. I can call those friends anytime and I never have to wonder if they want to go somewhere with me because the answer is usually yes. At times I like being the outsider when it comes to NY drama but I still feel like an outsider here. There is usually something that I have to "turn off" in order to bond. One might not like to drink, one may not be married, or have kids....Blogging helps me fill the void to some degree. I totally get it girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I miss that feeling of people just knowing who I am and accepting me.

      Delete
  3. love your new profile picture...and this is your blog...write about what you want to write about! not everyone is good at meeting people so take your time...it's ok to be home sick!! Thank you for you and your husband's service however!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! My Mom is coming to visit soon and I'm sure that will help a lot. I'm literally counting the days until her visit, LOL!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!