Monday, January 13, 2014

Preschool at Home: Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

We are half way thru with January. Can't believe it. Savannah and I have been working really hard on sight words and reading. We live in walking distance to the library and we go there often to check out books or rent Wii games.

For this particular trip I wanted to focus on finding books that talked about Dr.Martin Luther King, Jr. Our library had a few books to choose from and we chose the three below. I have enjoyed reading these to her and introducing to her some of the facts about our nation's history.


Since we had been reading so much about MLK's vision I thought it would be fun to help Savannah make a vision board, but on a smaller Pre-K level. I started by getting some of her painting paper and my letter stencils.


Then I just asked her what her dreams were. I wrote them down in the color of her choice. As you can see, this activity had very little to do with her learning to write or cut. This activity was all about teaching her to recognize her dreams.


I thought she came up with some pretty good dreams for a three year old. I asked her simple questions like, "If you could learn anything what would it be? and " What do you want to be when you grow up?". I think it will be fun to do this with her every year at this same time and save them. When BabyM is old enough he'll do it too.

I plan to stencil her name at the bottom between the stars. I wanted to get this post up before it got too late. So. What do you think? How will you observe MLK Day with your little one? I know someone is out there thinking that this maybe too much for a three year old. So. I'll share something with you that I told a friend earlier today…


9 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this idea of an MLK vision board! So perfect for the kids! That last graphic tho...LOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Girl, I still can' t get over that episode, LOL!

      Delete
  2. This is such an awesome idea, I live in Canada so we don't celebrate MLK day but I love the fact that you want her to do similar project each year and show to her when she is older. I think is not too hard on a little girl to do such a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I tried to keep it on her level. As she gets older when can do fun magazine clippings but I thought this was a nice start.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea and I'm totally stealing it for my son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Tia! I'm going to make one with my five-year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noah will have a vision board when we start with sight words. This is definitely a chic hit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, Tia! It's time for my kids to update their vision boards, so I might just switch it up to something like this. I might use this idea for the smaller children in the community, too. Thanks for sharing this :)

    I hope poor Porsha learns more about our history and realizes how crazy she looked on national television smh lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!