Monday, March 2, 2015

Mommy Guilt Wife Guilt

Lately I have been feeling super guilty about things and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I've been taking the time to pay attention to myself more than I did before. I've been going to new exercise classes, buying myself things and taking time during the day to focus on things that I want to do.

This has been tough and at times it has left me feeling a little guilty. Why do I feel bad about doing things for myself or taking a little time out to do things that I enjoy? It took me so long to get to a place where I actually feel okay doing things. It's been fun feeling like the old me again. I just didn't expect so much guilt to come along with it.

mom guilt

Now, this guilt hasn't kept me from doing anything that I want to do but carrying it around has been like a mosquito bite - annoying. Beating myself up for allowing myself to grow is a waste of emotion and it's draining. One night I was talking to my husband about wanting to take a 6am fitness class. I didn't want to go because that meant he would have to do the morning routine with the kids. I would be back to get Sav off to school but he would have to get her dressed, make breakfast and do her hair.

I actually considered not going to my fitness class because I didn't want him to have to do "all that". He told me to have fun at my class and not worry about them. He also made a point to tell me that I really need to start being okay with him being a bigger part of our routine.

His schedule with work and grad school keeps him so busy that it's just easier for me to have a routine that doesn't rely on his help. So whenever I do decide to let go of the reigns a little it doesn't come easy for me and I beat myself up about it...

I tell myself all the time, "He's been at work all day. I've been home. He shouldn't have to come home and...." My wifey guilt is real. I really do feel like he shouldn't have to clean, cook or get the kids ready for bed. When will he have a chance to decompress? I only mention this because I know if I  was working and he was a stay at home Dad I would feel like this. 

The unnecessary amount of pressure that I put on myself is ridiculous thou. I know many Moms can relate to this. I feel like I need to do it all. Even when I know I'm going to be away I try to do everything I can to make my husband's time with the kids easier. For some reason making sure they are squared away makes me feel better about leaving them. What I didn't realize is that doing this was making my husband feel like I didn't think he was up for the task. 

I let my guilt go too far. While I'm sure I won't be guilt-free overnight I think baby steps will help me rid myself of feeling this way. 

Do you ever have issues with Wifey guilt or Mommy guilt? How do you deal with it?

8 comments:

  1. The pressure that we as moms/ wives feel is crazy and REAL. You for sure shouldn't feel any guilt for taking care of yourself, you can only be a better mom and wife when you feel good about you. I struggle with the guilt that I don't take enough time for ME or to take care of the things that just I want. I just simple feel like I don't have the time to be Me enough if that makes sense. Its a slow process I'm sure and I'm also pretty sure there is always going to be some form of guilt we feel about "something" I think it just sort of goes along with the job of being Mom and Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renae! That's where I started too. I felt bad about not doing anything for myself. Now that I'm taking the time out for myself I do feel better about myself but of course that other guilt moved right in, LOL! It's a process but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  2. Girl I feel you! We just discussed self-imposed mom/wife guilt at my last MOPs meeting. As a mom, I feel like I have to do it all, not realizing that I can't. It's just not possible. Once I begin to take more care of me, I felt better overall. Now that's not saying that I don't feel a twinge of guilt when I buy myself a new shirt or attend a MNO, but hey I deserve occasional treats too. I've just come to the realization that there are just some things I will have to let go so that I can be a better mom/wife and equally sane person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, girl! I'm also a MOPS Mom! We talked about this a little at our last meeting too. I was encouraged to stick to my plans even when I feel like caving. Like you, I still feel that twinge of guilt but I'm slowly learning to let that go.

      Delete
  3. I will only go to the 5:45 am Hot yoga class, just to make sure I'm home before the kids wake. We always joke that my husband does dishes maybe 3 times the entire year, only because I won't let him. I have that "he works all day and sometime night, so he shouldn't have to do a thing at home" mentality too. Now that I work part-time (temporarily) I'm accepting his help more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slowly started getting myself use to some of the earlier classes. I really liked going in the morning. I completely understand where you're coming from.

      Delete
  4. Awesome post. The guilt is real. Now that my children are a little older (3 and 19months) I don't feel as bad leaving them. I make my self do something just for me every day. I've also made one Saturday a month girls day. I intentionally go hang out with my girlfriends. I'm a SAHM and have found that it is good for me and my family for me to get some good old girl time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Girl time is refreshing! I like the idea of having at least one a month. I am guilty of letting a few months go by without getting with my girlfriends.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!