Sunday, March 8, 2015

Pure Barre: 10 Tips for Beginners & 5 Immediate Results

Okay. So as you might remember I attended my first Pure Barre class a few weeks ago. I instantly fell in love. Now that I've attended a good bit of classes I thought I'd share some tips for beginners and what results you can expect right away. (of course results will vary)


10 Pure Barre Tips for Beginners
1- Before attending your first class watch this video. I didn't find this gem until after my first class. My second class went so much better. When class is over ask questions about any movements you were unsure of. This will help you get the most out of your time in class.
2- Wear socks with sticky bottoms. Think of the socks they give out at the hospital. You want those. They'll have some available for purchase at the studio if you can't find them. Yoga pants/capris and tank tops seem to be the go-to look for class. Save your shorts for running.
3- Drink plenty of water before class. Being well hydrated will help with possible cramping in your arms, legs and core.
4- Remember that the smaller the movement the bigger the result. An inch is really an inch.
5- Embrace the shake (of your body) at the Barre.
6- Listen to your body. The instructor will give out modifications; use them if you need to.
7- Don't give up. Push yourself to stay with the workout.
8- Don't be late. Class starts on time and you don't want to miss the warm-up.
9- Bring a friend. Trying something new is always easier when you have familiar face with you.
10- Focus on yourself, your body and your fitness goals for 55 minutes. You'll be glad you did.

5 Immediate Results of Pure Barre (that I experienced)
1- After my first class I had an amazing mental shift. If you like the feeling of being challenged and pushed then you'll love Pure Barre. Like me, you will probably be addicted after your first class. Before Pure Barre I liked working out but now I must workout. I'm on a different level mentally than I was before with my fitness goals and workout regimen. 

2- It only took about three classes for me to start noticing that I was becoming more tone. My abs and "seat" are already feeling and looking so much better. My husband even mentioned that he could tell Pure Barre was agreeing with my body.

3- Becoming more flexible is another fitness goal of mine. During class you'll stretch yourself out a lot. My flexibility has improved since my first class. My nose is getting closer and closer to my knee.

4- I like to think that being apart of a class like this is a twofer. Not only do I get an amazing workout but I also get to have a sense of community that I can't say I had before. My schedule doesn't allow me to take the same class time every week but I do notice that many of the ladies know each other. I consider making new friends a huge benefit to taking this class or starting any new hobby.

5- My fit-esteem (a word I'm pretty that I just made up. so here's a definition. {fit * eh-steem} - the way one feels about his/her fitness goals. Ex. "My fit-esteem is so much better since starting my classes at Pure Barre. ) is so much better. Every time I make it through a class I feel so much better about myself and what I just accomplished. It's evidence that I am so much stronger (physically and mentally) than I ever gave myself credit for before. I have raised my own "Barre" and I know now that I am capable of doing so much more with my body.

pure barre student
my goal is to get on my highest tippy toe with that leg higher and straighter

I'm telling you if you haven't tried a class yet you're missing out. If you're in San Antonio the location here is super friendly. I've had several instructors and they have all been great. Is there a Pure Barre in your area? Have I convinced you to try a class yet?

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I found a class in my area :D wondering if I can start this during pregnancy.. I plan to stop by the studio tomorrow and find out ;) Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope your location offers Maternity classes. If not, you could ask if they could provide you with modified poses safe for pregnancy. Congrats on your new addition!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I was waiting for a picture of you in action. I am glad you like it! Thanks for tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hard to get a picture because class I normally go to a class that end right as another one starts. I've been enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. How fun! I enjoyed the friends I made doing Zumba and need to find me a new fitness buddy! This class looks like fun and not in the budget now but I'm sure I can work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun! I'll be your virtual workout buddy. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!