Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Cake By The Pound: Pound Cake Recipe

Saturday Savannah and I wanted to bake something yummy. We decided to bake a cheesecake. After doing lots of searching online I learned that it's best to use a springform pan. I don't have a springform pan and the only pan that my Walmart carried had mixed reviews.

I ended up finding a highly recommended pan on Amazon. We'll be trying a cheesecake soon. I decided to that a pound cake would be just as fun to make. Savannah was just happy to be in the kitchen so she didn't mind changing the plan up a bit.


I had my reservations about this cake. After searching for what looked like an easy recipe for hours I decided on this one from the southern food queen herself, Paula Deen.


The prep for this cake was super easy. I have a hand mixer (I really want a KitchenAid Mixer but I also really want pretty clothes, bag and shoes. The mixer loses every time.) which made it take a bit longer than I think it should have. 


The next time I make this cake I'll add just a wee bit more vanilla. It really was perfect though. It's Tuesday morning and there's maybe four slices of cake left. I really wanted to show you all a pretty plated slice with fruit but I would start eating and forget to snap a pic each time.


Cooking and baking reminds me so much of how I grew up eating big dinners at my Grandmother's house. Our family dinners would be filled with so much food and even more cakes and pies. I really want to become that for my kids. My Grandma made it look so easy. Everything was always so tasty.

We lost my Grandma back in November but her legacy and the way she lived her life will always be something that I hold so close to my heart. Whenever I am cooking I think of her and my Mom. It's one of the ways I try to carry on family traditions while living so far away from family. 

If you're new to baking like me give this recipe a try. What family traditions are you hoping to carry on for your family?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Tia! The pound cake looks beautiful and yummy. I've tried a pound cake once but should try it again sometime but not until I make another cheesecake. I love cheesecake! Can't wait to see yours. Have a great day! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so now I want some cake :-). It looks delicious. Growing up, I was always in the kitchen with my grandmother helping her. That's how I learned to cook. So I want to teach my girls that same way. Food was always an important part of our family get-togethers. Thank you for this and the recipe link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love cooking with Savannah. It's one of my favorite things to do with her.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job! I actually use this recipe for special occasions and my favorite peeps request it for bdays, etc. Way to go.

    I am glad that you have cherished memories of your beloved Grandmother to hold close to you and that you can pass on to your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be keeping this recipe as my go-to for a pound cake. It was so easy!

      Delete
  4. Oh your cake looks so moist and yummy! I use that same recipe when I make pound cake. I also love Paula Deen's peach cobbler recipe. Have you ever been to her restaurant in Savannah, GA?

    I am far from my family as well and cooking also helps me feel closer to them. Cooking and sharing recipes is an important tradition in my family (especially for holidays) that I am passing on to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to her restaurant. I bet her peach cobbler is delicious! Cooking makes me feel so connected to them. It's nice to have things to pass on from one generation to the next.

      Delete
    2. If you get a chance to go, get there as soon as the restaurant opens to get your a reservation for later that day. The food is amazing.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!