Monday, March 30, 2015

Fitness Tips for Busy Moms

One of the goals I had for 2015 was to get in better shape. Doesn't everyone have that goal every year though? It seems that way. Anyway, it's practically April and I have managed to make fitness a bigger part of my lifestyle. 

I went from occasionally going to the gym to wanting and needing to workout. If I go more than two days without a workout I start to get that gym itch. Mentally, I have transformed into a person that desires to exercise. That little attitude shift has done wonders for me. 

If you're a busy Mom like me and are looking for ways to become more active here are some things that have worked for me...

fitness tips for moms

1. Get a good stroller - I personally love my BOB stroller but any stroller made for jogging/running will work. Going for a walk or run is always a nice outing for the baby and a great way for you to burn calories.


2. Make a playlist filled with your favorite music - Put all your faves on a playlist. Grab your headphones and go. Music makes me want to dance a bit harder, walk a little longer and run faster. I also listen to music while I'm cleaning to help boost my heart rate a little.

3. Spend some time at the playground - I know we all take our kids to the playground but when was the last time you actually ran and played with them? Let me tell you, that is a good workout. You all will be so exhausted afterwards.

4. Make lunch easy with meal planning - I eat a salad for lunch almost everyday. It's easy to make. Its fast and it's healthy. Play around with different salads until you find one you love. Make sure you always have those things on hand to make lunch quick and healthy. 


5. Workout DVDs - DVDs are great to have as a plan B. Rainy days, sick kiddos or scheduling mix ups don't have to ruin your workout plans. Pop a DVD in while your baby is napping and get in as many minutes as you can. 

6. Drink plenty of water - It is recommended that we drink half of our weight in ounces of water everyday. Being well hydrated will help you make it through those tough workouts.

7. Snack healthy - As Moms, we are always on the go, keep some 100 calorie packs, nuts or a banana in your purse. 

8. Join a new fitness class - I have tried everything from yoga to pole dance to barre classes. As you know, I love barre class. Find a class that agrees with your body and where you are on your fitness journey. There are so many benefits to group fitness. I love the fact that the classes are led by instructors who know what they are doing. Once you become a fan of a class you'll quickly become a fan of working out in general.





















9. Rest well - Quality sleep is so important. Get as much rest as possible.

10. Sneakers & Sports Bras - Either one of these will ruin your workout if they aren't good enough. Take some time to find the right fit in both.

11. Fitness Apps - Download a couple fitness apps. I really love the Nike Running app to track my walks and runs. The Nike Training Club app is full of workouts for all fitness levels. You can do them at home with little to no equipment. I also have the Pure Barre app on my phone. I can look at the class schedule and reserve my spot in class right from my iPhone.

Nike Running App

12.  Get some workout buddies - I don't have any workout buddies (which is why I love group fitness) but I do belong to a fantastic group of motivating women via the internet. Operation Snap Back® is a movement that inspires women to reach their fitness goals. Our next fitness challenge starts April 1st. We'll be using the Nike Training Club app to push ourselves to get lean, get tone and get strong. Join us. You'll be glad you did!

Operation Snap Back


13. Yoga ball, Yoga mat, dumb bells and fitness tube - These items are all you need for a good workout at home. The yoga ball even came with an instruction manual to help guide you through several different exercises. 

fitness equipment for home gym

14. Pinterest - Pinterest is full of workouts. Just type what you're looking for in the search and lots of options will come up. You can literally find anything. And it's free!

15. Vitamins - A good multivitamin is always a nice addition to your fitness, beauty and wellness regimen. 

I hope my tips inspire you to take your fitness routine to the next level. You can do it! Don't forget to join me over at Operation Snap Back® for this month's challenge. It's going to be fun!

Leave your fitness tips, comments or questions below! 

8 comments:

  1. Great tips!!! I need to look into finding some cheap fitness classes near me. I would love to get out of the house without the kids once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the main reasons I love classes! It's a nice way to get out of the house without the kids and focus on myself for an hour.

      Delete
  2. I've bookmarked this post - because once I drop this baby, I will be revisiting this page! Great post Tia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Congrats on your new addition! I wish you a healthy and happy delivery!

      Delete
  3. Tia these are great tips! I have a YMCA membership and I love their classes, but I would love a couple of DVD recommendations for my lazy days. I normally eat a salad for either lunch or dinner, but I've been slacking! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Hollywood Trainer (Jeanette Jenkins) DVDs! My favorites are Bikini Bootcamp and Sexy Abs (feat. Kelly Rowland). Both of them are great alternatives to gym days.

      Delete
  4. We've been hitting up the playground and nature trails more. You definitely get a workout climbing up the monkey gyms and chasing a toddler around! These are excellent tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Doing anything kids tends to turn into a workout, LOL! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!