Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Low Maintenance Mama

Something occured to me today while Sav and I were at the pool. During one of the lifeguard breaks all the Mommies and babies decided to break out their snacks. That was fine with me so I reached into our pool bag and gave Sav her bottle of water and zip-loc baggy of goldfish. Goldfish are her jam right now. As I looked around the pool I noticed something...

All the other Mamas had small meals planned for their kiddos. I saw loaves of bread and bags of chips. I was kind of...how can I put this...embarrassed. All my kid had was a bag of goldfish and a water bottle. That's it. It never crossed my mind to pack anything more than that. I have always prided myself on being able to leave the house without a lot of stuff. I hate stuff. I hate it hanging from me and I hate carrying it. I hate stuffing it under a stroller and I hate unloading it when we get home.

I'm sure all Moms feel that way. But looking around at the pool today you wouldn't know it. I felt like a rookie this morning. Which I kind of am but that's really besides the point. Maybe I am too low maintenance as a Mom. I bet Savannah would have loved a Nutella and banana sandwich with a slice of watermelon and chips today at the pool. I bet she would have. I always justify my appetizer sized snack with the fact that we are eating lunch when we leave. I think I should rethink that. The truth is I have the hardest time getting her to eat a real lunch when we get home. There may be something to bringing a small deli shop to the pool.

I'm going to give it a shot on our next pool day. The worst thing that could happen is that I'll end up bringing all that crap back home with me. Which will bring me back to a place that I hate to be. Which will be cool cause that's part of this gig. Add hauling crap to my new resume. I'm a Jill of all trades.

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I usually end up tossing a bag of pretzels or something into my pool bag on the way out the door. Then I get there and all the other moms trot out full meals for their kids. But no worries. My kid is usually happy with the snack he gets and if he's really lucky, he gets a Popsicle from the snack bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done it both ways...right now, we are at the point where we need to take more than enough snacks, sandwiches, and drinks because the kids are older. I save the icy pop or slushie as a last resort when they are misbehaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I can relate! South African moms are like Martha Stewarts and I'm just not wired that way. I don't even make lunch for my kids for school, except for Amanda. I haven't done it for several years. I figure that if they want to take a sandwich, they are quite capable of doing it themselves. They usually don't bother. I think there isn't another family in this town who's kids devour as much cereal as mine in the mornings. They want it to last until they're home! LOL!

    By the way, one reason why she might not eat well at lunch time is if she's too tired to eat. :)

    Tina - mom of 4, author and blogger of 5 blogs
    http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know I'm not the only one! I felt soooo out of place yesterday, LOL! Christina, I need to ask around to see what time most toddlers her age nap. I feel like putting her down when she's sleepy at 10:30 is too early. I always try to stretch it out and make her stay awake until at least 11:45. I need to read up on sleep for her age. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! I have found myself in same situation before and I know how you felt..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha.... definitely know how you feel!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!