Sunday, May 6, 2012

Potty Training is Ruining my Life

potty training


See. This is the thing. Potty training is not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish. It doesn't help that I may just be the world's worst potty trainer ever. I've gotten tons of tips and advice and I still haven't been able to make much progress. Some days she goes, most days she doesn't. We've tried Pull-Ups, training pants and au-natural. I've tried rewarding her with candy. (which is a big deal because she NEVER gets candy) We even have a potty song that is sung to the tune of Kim Zolciak's "Don't Be Tardy for the Party". Ours is "Don't Be Tardy for the Potty". I know, I know I'm SO clever. :-)

I say all that to say this. The reason why we are stuck in a potty rut is completely my fault. I don't ask her to go often enough. Quite frankly, we're not even home enough to potty train. That little girl's social calendar would make a Kardashian do a double take. So, here's my pledge for the week. Tomorrow we will potty train. I will set the timer on the stove like all the smart Moms have advised me to do. Got any tips for me? I'll take all the help I can get! 

7 comments:

  1. I saw your request on MBC, Moms on Twitter.

    I've raised four kids and all I'd say is "don't sweat it." How many 20 year-olds do you know who are still running around in diapers?

    But here are my tips: I've found potty training in the summer to be easier, less clothes to wash. I start potty training when the child seems ready. Sometimes children are ready and go for a while doing well, but then something happens in their world and they digress, like a new baby in the family. It's as much an emotional/maturity thing as it is a learning thing, so it really doesn't reflect on the child's intelligence. If you lose your peace, your kid will pick that up and that doesn't help the situation. They all grow up eventually. Don't allow what you think people are thinking of you as a parent get in the way of being the best mommy you can be for your child.

    My parenting blog is at http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I know she's ready, I just haven't made training a priority. What I didn't realize is that we both have to ready for this change. I think I'm finally ready. Can't wait to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so witty, you can write for a TV sitcom! :)
    Hmmm, I can't remember how I exactly potty trained my kid. I guess I just got lucky with her. I hope things start working out for you in that department :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper!! :-) We made some progress today, but we still have a very long way to go, haha!

      Delete
  4. I am so right there with you. The thing with my daughter is that she doesn't like the feel after she goes, so she tries changing her own diapers. Ughh! But, she will not tell me when she has to go and with my other children until we get to that point and don't think I can take her every 5 minutes, especially since she is #4 of 5. New reader from www.mamabucks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we have the same kid? Because that is excatly what my daughter does. She doesn't like the feel of going on the potty but she also doesn't like the feel of a wet diaper. Yesterday was pretty good, let's see what today holds. :-)

      Delete
  5. This is my post on the matter http://pinkoddy.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/potty-training/

    TBH we are in the same boat - some days he does great and others he just keeps wetting himself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!