Thursday, May 3, 2012

Party of 3

Lately, I've been hearing a lot of first time mothers allude to the fact that their first child will be their only child. As a fan of this idea I truly understand the benefits to keeping your brood small. Let's face it we all can't be Angelina and Brad. Could you imagine trying to go on vacation with four or more kids? You'd need a drink before you hit your first security check point! Doing anything becomes a monumental task. I once saw this beautiful stressed out woman in the commissary. She had one in the shopping cart seat. One in the shopping cart. Two walking behind her crying and an older one walking in front ignoring the whole scene.

I thought to myself, "That woman is brave. She came to the grocery store with ALL her kids.". Then I thought to myself. "That couldn't be me.". I'm pretty sure her life isn't always this way. Or at least I would hope it isn't. Before I became a Mom I knew that I wanted to be able to keep my life as close to normal as possible. I still wanted to be able to go out and do things without it being a big deal. Exhaustion doesn't look good on anybody, and I never want to look like my kid is winning the fight.

 I envy the women that genuinely want more kids. I can not say that I am one of them. I feel like if I were to do it again it would be for other reasons. Maybe to try for a boy or give my daughter a sibling. But it wouldn't be because I genuinely wanted to. Ya know? I feel secure in my approach to take things slow. Having kids is a big decision and women shouldn't feel pressured to keep cranking them out. I don't.

Right now, I am loving my party of three. We're having some good times together. Things seem easy and effortless. After some thinking I decided that it wasn't the idea of more kids that I took issue with. My issue is with the back to back baby syndrome. I decided that once my one is potty trained I'll begin to think about a two. Two under two in diapers just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I don't think my personality was built for it. I applaud the women that can do it. They are champions.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to have another kid, just so my solo daughter will have a playmate :). I do admire those who can handle 8 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, I don't know how those women do it! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those women are superheroes! I am firmly and happily in the one-and-done club, and loving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ninilovespie, I totally agree with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!