Monday, May 14, 2012

Chewy Cake: A Family Tradition

When I was little girl my brothers and cousins spent a lot of time at my Grandparent's house. They live in a small town in South Carolina. Those are some of the best memories I have when I remember my childhood. There was always a friend to play with, a bike to ride or some trouble to get into. Trust me, we got into our fair share of trouble. Have you ever tried to make an indoor "slip n slide"? We made one once and it was quite the adventure! One of my favorite things about my Grandmother's house was the endless amounts of cakes and pies. From sweet potato pies to jelly cakes, there was always something to enjoy. Chewy cake was also very popular. It's very sweet and nutty and just perfect. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. Try serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You will love me forever. ;-)

Cake Ingredients
1 Box light brown sugar
2 Cups self rising flour
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter
3 Eggs
2 Cups chopped pecans

Glaze Ingredients
2-4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup confectionary sugar
*Enough water to smooth the glaze

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Over low heat cook butter and light brown sugar. (Yes you are using the whole box.) Stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a bowl continuing to stir to cool the mixture. With a hand mixer, add each egg one at a time beating mixture after each egg until the egg is completely incorporated. Add the flour, mixing until the flour is completely incorporated. Add the vanilla. With a spoon, add the pecans and give it a good stir. It will be sticky. (Do you love me yet?) Bake in a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. With a fork poke a couple holes into the cake. (cake may crumble a little) Prepare the glaze by combining butter and confectionary sugar over low heat. Add enough water to smooth out the glaze. Drizzle over the top of the warm cake.



After eggs have been added...



After flour has been added...


After mixing in the pecans...


Spread out in the pan...



Baked...



Glazed...



You're welcome ;-)



5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I am definitely going to try this, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem!!! My husband has been eating it for breakfast every morning. I never considered it a breakfast goodie until now. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks to die for!

    Thanks so much for linking up at Mealtime Monday! Hope to see you again next week!

    Kaylee

    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have a couple recipes to test this weekend. Hopefully I'll get them up on the blog before Monday! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!