Tuesday, October 22, 2013

PreSchool at Home: Mixing it Up

Today I thought I'd share some of the other activities we do to create days full of learning. I have recently figured out that chopping up activities and offering different learning opportunities throughout the day really work well for Savannah. It keeps her from getting bored with what we're working on. 

Another thing that I like about this new way of offering activities is that it limits her "free" time. There really isn't much time for TV when we're both actively engaged in an activity together. Now. I know for some people you're wondering how I can do other things if I'm so glued into this new way of learning. The truth is much of it is self directed by Savannah. I set up the expectation that we're going to do something and then she does it independently for the most part. 

While she's working on the Starfall site or doing a page in her workbook, I'm cooking. When she's doing her phonics board in her room, I'm folding laundry. It's a great way to multi task. I can get things done while she's learning. It's great. 

Here we are together working with her phonics board...


Other activities that we've been adding to our day include playing the matching game, playing alphabet bingo and she's recently really taking a bug interest in cooking.



She received this alphabet bingo card during her weekly PreSchool class and she's been playing with it ever since. 


And here she is in her kitchen. I've been letting her help me in the kitchen more since she seems to have a genuine interest in cooking. I think I'm going to let her be my little sous chef when I make the baby's food this weekend. She's going to love that.


By sharing how we've been filling the day I hope it's giving you more ideas. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I'm always open to trying new activities!




6 comments:

  1. I don't have any suggestions, but I'm taking the alphabet bingo! We might do that today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB Sav! Mom you have to tell me where you got that Alphabet match pad from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got it as a gift. They found it at Goodwill. I have only seen them in eBay and I was able to find an extra box of letters on Amazon.

      Delete
  3. I don't have any ideas but I do want to steal some of these to try out with Ms. V. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!