Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving: A Testimony of Prayer

I hope everyone is having an awesome Thanksgiving week so far. I've got my turkey defrosting in the fridge as we speak. I'm very excited about Thanksgiving. It has always been one of my favorite holidays. This year we'll be keeping our meal pretty small since it's only the three of us. We're also staying on budget so that cut down on a lot of the "extras" I would normally make. I was able to get all of the groceries we needed for this week and everything we needed for Thanksgiving for about fifty dollars. I won a twenty-five dollar gift card to Wal-Mart so I actually didn't even spend much of my own money. Isn't that the coolest blessing ever? 

This is a time of year where everyone reminds themselves of all the good that's in their life. We all have something to be thankful for. Even if our lives or situation isn't exactly as we want it to be there is still some good to give thanks for. I think about a message I heard during bible study one night about five or six years ago, "Be content with where God has you, but know that He isn't finished blessing you yet." 

I have taken that lesson and applied it to my life ever since. I am so thankful for all the good and not so great aspects of my life because when I think about it someone else would probably kill for my problems. As my soldier always says, "Things could always be worse." I am thankful for the power of prayer and the peace, positivity and security it brings into my life. I am thankful that the older I get the more I realize that there is very little I can do to alter God's plan for my life. Which is a good thing because praying and waiting is far better than fretting and worrying. Slows down aging too I'm sure.

So I just wanted to share a little something that's been on my heart lately. I don't know what higher power all of you believe in but I do know that this Thanksgiving I am truly thankful for God's continued favor and mercy over my life. When I think about it there is very little that I pray for that He doesn't provide. In those cases where something doesn't come through I know it really wasn't meant to be because He gives me so much good. I mean down to the tee. You don't understand. My prayers are specific.

 When I wanted to get pregnant with Savannah I prayed that God would allow me to get pregnant by the time I was twenty six.  Four days before my twenty sixth birthday I found out I was pregnant. That's what I'm thankful for. Knowing that I don't have to worry because if it's His will it will either happen or it won't. Be thankful for what you have and what you don't. Because like a young minister told our bible study class one night, "Being content isn't being complacent. It's being thankful."

What are you thankful for this year?

9 comments:

  1. I love this! There's so much to be thankful for. When I'm feeling down or like I can't take anymore; when my back is against the wall and I've hit rock bottom, I always give thanks to God for the good but also for the bad because I know it will make me a better person. Everyday I give thanks because every day I have is another reason to be thankful. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'm thankful for my family and health! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post. Everything was well said!

    Now....groceries and thanksgiving food for $50? Tell me something!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You!!! I am gonna do a post on those groceries before it become irrelevant, LOL! There were coupons involved!

      Delete
  4. I am thankful for the opportunity to become a mom and share this beautiful experience with my wonderful husband. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, your testimony, and I wholeheartedly agree with the last quote, being content doesn't always mean being complacent! Like you, I am so thankful for everything God has done for me and will continue to do for me in the future! I may not be where I want to be yet, but I know that if it's in God's will...it will be done! Thanks for linking up and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!