Monday, April 22, 2013

My Toddler is Public Friendly

Remember when I did that guest post for Baby Teems about my toddler being "public friendly"? Well. I must say that I am amazed at how well she did today at the hospital. I went in for my non-stress test at 10:45am. In the waiting room she colored on the back of a receipt that I had in my purse with some colored pencils. I always have colored pencils or crayons in my purse. 

Once we were called back I immediately got her situated in her chair with her portable DVD player. This morning before leaving the house I had her pick out three DVDs. I told her that she could watch them once while Mommy talked to the doctor. I think setting up the expectation and letting her know how the day is going to go helps. People always say that kids don't understand but I disagree. If I tell her we're going to be at the doctor's office and she's going to watch movies and sit still while we're there she get's it.


After my non-stress test I had to get an ultrasound and we had to go by the pharmacy. Luckily, all of this is in the hospital. It was 2:00pm when we left. She started to get a little antsy towards the end but that's to be expected. After all, she is two. I was so proud of her. Being prepared with activities will always make long days out easier. We got back on Thursday and the only thing I plan to do differently is pack an extra snack for the both of us. :-)

3 comments:

  1. That is great and she is so adorable! My 2 almost 3 year old is soooo active and she could NOT have been that patient! I have never thought of telling her how the day would go so she could expect it. This is a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I noticed a big difference when I started telling her what to expect. Every day isn't perfect but for the most part we have successful outings. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!