Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Baby Update & Breastfeeding

This past weekend flew by. I can't even remember what we did. I remember going to church and that's about it. I went in to see the doctor today and I am happy to share that everything is going well with the baby. My blood pressure is still high (it stayed high through out my entire pregnancy with Savannah), but I passed all the screenings for pre eclampsia so no worries there. :-) 

I have reached that point in my pregnancy where they start administering the "non-stress" tests. The "non-stress" test is a test they give to monitor the baby's heart rate and movement. I'll be going in twice a week for my tests until I deliver. They'll plug me up to a machine and I'll just lye there for about thirty minutes to an hour. I did the same thing with Savannah. This let's me know that the end is near. I can not believe how fast this pregnancy is flying by. So crazy.

Which brings me back to thinking about breastfeeding preparation. I've been pulling out all of my old books and resources to give myself a refresher on how things go and best practices. Since I really want to try to increase my milk supply this time I've been focusing on learning more about how to achieve that. If it doesn't happen that's okay too. Savannah never had a supply of milk in the freezer but I would love to try to have a few bottles this time around so that my husband can help more. I was able to find a good one sheeter on increasing your milk supply on pinterest. 

Credit

Fenugreek never worked for me while I was pregnant with Sav. This time I am going to try the infamous Mother's Milk tea and Raspberry Leaf tea. Raspberry Leaf tea was actually recommended to me by a lady at church. I am hoping that the teas and a healthy diet will be the key for me. Anyone have suggestions for me that really worked for you? Anything that I can start doing now (other than drinking lots of water)?

6 comments:

  1. Raspberry Leaf Tea is for strengthening your uterus for birth so it won't help with breastfeeding. I will have to read back to see if you posted about your previous breastfeeding experience but I will tell you that your best bet is to actually breastfeed the baby and not concentrate energy on pumping. Putting the baby to the breast as soon as possible after the birth and asking for assistance from the hospital LC to get the latch right will get you off to a good start. Pumping has been proven to shorten breastfeeding experiences and can damage breasts. I would also recommend taking a good breastfeeding class and/or attending one of the five local La Leche League meetings before your baby arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that about the Raspberry Leaf Tea too but this lady swore by it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. My previous breastfeeding experience was great. I exclusively nursed for the most part. Now that I have a two year old it would be better for our lifestyle if I had a few bottles this time around. I took classes and used a lactation consultant with my first and plan to do that again if I need to. Hopefully he'll latch right on like his sister did. :-)

      Delete
  2. I would check with you doctor but I heard there was something you could try towards the end of the pregnancy that could help with your milk and won't harm the baby but I can't remember what it was...sorry:( but maybe asking your doctor they may know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll ask my Dr. about that at my next appointment!!!!!

      Delete
  3. ANd the twin sisters Tia and Tamera have a new product that's supposed to help too. I was like a freaking cow so I never needed to take supplements...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on their show!! I've tried looking for it online and I guess it's not for sale yet. I really want to try it if they sell it in stores.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!