Thursday, September 18, 2014

Preschool Prep: Tear Free Drop Off Tips

Now that we have pretty much wrapped up our second week of school I think I can give myself a little pat on the back for a smooth transition. I can't take much credit for Savannah being happy about going to school but I can offer you what we did to get ready for school.

Drop-off in the morning is always pretty interesting. Someone is always crying or begging their parent not to leave. Most of the parents have pretty easy drop offs. I would assume that's due to their child's previous experience with being away from Mom or Dad or maybe they were prepped really well for starting school.

We did lots of different things to make sure there was no drama during drop off.

preschool tips
I was able to find a cute book about The Night Before Preschool. We read that for our bedtime story every night for a couple weeks. It tells about the night before preschool and everything that happens the first day of school. I also mentioned her first day of school as much as possible. Not even kidding. If we were in Target and I saw a backpack I'd say, "Look at those backpacks! I bet all of your new friends will have their own special backpack!" 

We attended the orientation that was held the week before school started. She got a chance to meet her classmates and teachers. I think that was huge in getting her ready. We got to show her where the restrooms were and I made sure she knew where all the different classrooms were located. (it's all on the same hallway - not hard at all)

Savannah's program is an 8 to 12 school day. Official drop off ends at 8:15. I make sure that we are there as close to 8 as possible to avoid any of the kiddos that might not be having a "good" morning. That way, she's already in class at a center while little Johnny has his fit outside in the hall. She never sees someone not wanting to be left at school. I also think that helped a lot. I pick her up as soon as the pick-up window opens up. I never want her to think for one second that I "forgot" her. That evokes fear and she may not want to go back the next day.

In the mornings before school I make breakfast a big deal. We talk about what she might do that day and we say prayers for a good day at school. Like I said, she really gets all the credit for getting off to such a great uneventful start but I'd like to think all of my Mommy efforts may have helped - just a little.

Did you find these tips helpful? Anything I missed that you'd like to share? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Great list. I find the volunteering one to help a lot. My daughter is always so excited to see me working at her school. I feel like it sends a message that it's a cool place to be and that I support the people that help her learn.

    I am so happy to hear that she had a smooth transition. Both of my kids did, and I always feel bad for the parents whose kids cut up. I can't imagine how hard it must be to leave your child when they are kicking and screaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel so bad for the Moms whose kids aren't taking to it well. That's got to make for a rough start to the day.

      Delete
  2. Hey Tia,
    I commented yesterday via my iPad and apparently that didn't go through--boo! These tips are great!

    My youngest son is in first grade, and some of the kids are still having difficulty in the morning. Actually, about a week ago there was a little girl who was coming unglued!!! She was screaming and yelling. I felt SO bad for her, but I was also fearing what if her emotions transfer. Thank goodness her outburst did not effect my boy, because I do not believe I could handle that.
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I don't think I could go through with actually dropping her off if she was that upset.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!