Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Preschool at Home: A Christmas List

Whether you have accepted it or not there are seven weekends left until Christmas. I was going through the Sunday paper for coupons when I noticed that there were several Christmas toy books in the paper. After counting how many weekends I had left to prepare I thought it would be a good idea to have Savannah write her Christmas list and letter to Santa. 

Anytime I work learning in to something we have to do anyway I feel like I'm winning.  Because there were so many sales papers and toys books in the paper I thought it would be a great time to help Savannah get comfortable with using her scissors. I started by having her cut coupons. (teaching her to save money and cut at the same time -- win) Her job was to cut along the dotted lines on her page. She thought it was very fun to cut coupons for the toys. 

I told her Mommy and Daddy would use some of the coupons and that we could send the other coupons to Santa to help him save money. (and yes, I realize Santa does not need coupons) I liked having her cut coupons because the dotted lines on them made for the perfect guide. My only tip would be to make sure they are not practicing on a page that has coupons that you might actually need.


Once she was done cutting her pictures and coupons we wrote a letter to Santa. I helped her a lot. We both hold the pencil and I make sure her letters are as close to the real thing as possible. She can do a few letters by herself but for the most part she still needs a lot of guidance. 

"I have been a good girl. We will bake cookies for you. Please bring toys to me and Mikey."

Then I had her glue her pictures to a blank piece of paper using a glue stick. I wrote in a couple of the requests she had and we were done. I am currently looking for Santa's address. I would like for her to get a letter back from him in the mail. I'm not sure if the USPS is doing that again this year. I was able to find this PDF but I don't know if that's for this year. I'm going to do more research and I'll post what I find out about this year's Letters From Santa program.


And I just wanted to share this. She has developed a love for the letter H. It's all she writes, paints and scribbles.


Have you and your kids made Christmas lists yet?

8 comments:

  1. Addison is in love with the letter A. I just give her lots of praise for all of those As that she writes! I can't believe how early everyone is getting into the Christmas spirit. It is kind of contagious. I think I am going to pick up the items for our wreath in the coming days so I can make sure it is ready to hang on Thanksgiving night.

    Good job turning that task into a learning opportunity. I think I may use this as a template to get Addison to perfect some of these skills that she is learning in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that Addison has a favorite letter too! I didn't know what was up with that, LOL! I'm not sure if I'm in the Christmas spirit but I am trying to get there. I really love Thanksgiving so I'm pretty sure I'll be more excited for Christmas after Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  2. You are the perfect mom. I am taking notes. Gosh I am not ready for Christmas. I never am. By next year I will not have a choice but to get on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I don't know about the perfect Mom? LOL!! I'm just trying to do my best at preparing her for school. I'm not ready for Christmas either. I normally don't get in the Christmas spirit until after Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. This is cute! There is a templete for Santa you go in and put the childs name and letters come to them closer to Christmas...we did it for my niece and nephew when they were little I will check it out and see what I can find for you. You are so my inspiration for the education at home!!! I have to show you a project we did...I was so proud of Emma and myself! HA! Keep the ideas flowing!!! You are helping a lot of moms out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Share your activity with me. I am always looking for things to do with Savannah. Please share the Santa letter info with me too!

      Delete
  4. That was such a great way to have a fun and learn at the same time. Your daughter has really good handwriting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I help her a lot with the writing. She has a couple letters down but she still needs a lot of help.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!