Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Chic Thanksgiving: Grocery Survival Plan

We have all been there. It's Thanksgiving Day and you're knee deep in pots and pans when you realize you forgot to buy something, you're about to run out of something or you don't have enough of something. It sucks. The last thing you want to do is try to find a store that's open. And God forbid you have to ask your husband or some other unwilling family member to run to the store.

We all know how that turns out. They either can't find what you need or they get the wrong thing. Even though episodes like this are the stuff that holidays are made of I try my hardest to avoid them. I like being prepared so that I can enjoy my time in the kitchen and my husband can enjoy his football.

You remember that episode of The Cosby Show when Claire kept having Cliff run to the store...


Love that episode. I don't want him to end up like Cliff so I start shopping in advance using two separate grocery lists. A list for non perishable items and a list for my fresh produce and items. I carry the non perishable list around with me and whenever I go to the store I grab a few things off the list. By the time Thanksgiving week comes I only have to buy what's fresh.

Tailor your list to what you're making. Here is an example of my non perishable list. 


We have limited freezer space so I'm not able to freeze much in advance. So, I buy my turkey fresh. I do freeze my butter though. 


Now. These are just examples. By looking at this I can already see where I need to add sour cream. Make your lists based on what you choose to make. I make my own Turkey broth so you'll notice there isn't any broth on my list. Do what works for you and your menu. If you plan to use coupons start getting the paper on Sundays if you don't already. I have already purchased my cooking soups, extracts and some spices because the coupons were in the paper last week. Last year there were several ways to save on a turkey and that's another reason I wait to buy my bird. Those coupons normally come out a bit closer to Thanksgiving. 

I like doing my shopping this way because it allows me to buy little by little. I don't have to worry about being in the grocery store all day or running around at the last minute to find special ingredients. Cuts down on stress. What do you think of this shopping plan? How do you get your Thanksgiving dinner shopping done? 


9 comments:

  1. Since having Emma...I try not to do anything last minute. I have already started clipping coupons, and I plan on getting some non perishable items this week or next week then focus on the fresh stuff closer to the holiday. Thanks for sharing the list...I can start getting my mind right because I really dont feel like cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Having little ones is what drives me to plan ahead. It's a lot of work going out to the store with them so if I can be prepared and keep my trips quick it helps. They are also the reason I don't like making multiple trips. My husband doesn't mind running to the store for me but I'd rather do it myself.

      Delete
  2. Good plan. I am not doing any real thanksgiving cooking. I'm going to crave stuffing so I'll make some of that one day...but I'm going to my mama for thanksgiving so she can spoil us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I lived closer to my family. My Mom throws down and it would so nice to have her cooking. My Mother in Law is coming out to visit us. It will be her first Thanksgiving with us so I really want to make it special (and good)!

      Delete
  3. This reminds to kick my list in gear! Thanks so much for sharing. Can't believe the holidays are nearly here already!

    Tenns @ New Mama Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be posting the recipes to the menu? Everything on there sounds prefect and was planning on doing it the exact same way Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be able to figure out a way to share them all without manually typing them here. I'm going to work on that for you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tia! Very much looking forward to it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!