Friday, November 15, 2013

Making Your Own Baby Food

A few weeks ago we introduced Baby M to the spoon. He had no problems eating and loved his cereal. Now that he's five months old it's time for me to start making and freezing baby food. When I had Savannah a friend of mine told me about making baby food. Not only does making your own food save money but it also gives you peace of mind. You know exactly what your baby is eating. 

I decided to make Baby M some sweet peas for his first food experience. You can find baby food puree   recipes all over the web so I'm going to share my quick and easy process for making and storing food. Of course, you have to start by cooking your food. 

Once the peas were done I put them in my blender. I never bought one of those baby food making gadgets because I already had a blender with a puree button. Call me cheap but I prefer low maintenance. I just don't see the point in buying an additional appliance when you already have something that does that same job.
See how close we've become. I didn't even try to clean off this counter for y'all. Notice my little sous chef. I let her push the puree button on the blender and she thought she was cooking for real! 
Here is my finished pea puree. Isn't it so pretty. It taste pretty good too. 

I took a spoon and filled all of the cubes in my two trays. I reserved a little of the puree for dinner. From 14oz of peas I got 24 servings of food. 

baby food puree fresh baby trays



I use the Fresh Baby trays. (I'm not getting paid for this.) I like them because they come with a lid. I was only able to find them online. The best deal I found was ordering them though WalMart online and picking them up in the store to save on shipping. I got two trays with lids for eight bucks. What I love about these is that I can also use them to freeze breast milk. That way, when I make his cereal I won't have to defrost whole bags of milk. I'm crazy about my breast milk and do not like wasting it.

After the puree freezes I pop the cubes out and place them in a labeled ziploc bag. Overall, I think I really like these Fresh Baby trays. It took me some time to get one of the lids on but other than that they performed right up to where my expectations were. I'd recommend them.

9 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you about appliances doing double duty! I'm on my 5th baby and have never once used a specialty baby food blender. Just a regular normal one does the trick! And yes yes yes to making your own baby food! I have done with all my babies, and now that no.5 is (sigh) 4 months old, it's something I'll be doing again very soon! Great post!

    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I could just never justify the purchase of one of those baby food makers when I already have a blender. Happy Saturday!!!

      Delete
  2. I made my own baby food for my daughter who is now 20 months. I wish I had mad my son's baby food, but I thought it would be to hard. I used a hand blender with my daughter's food and it was really easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always surprised at how easy it is! It took me about 15 minutes to make his peas and get them in the freezer. You can't beat that!

      Delete
  3. I read this post last night and it is such a great explanation of how to make your own baby food. It is so much easier than people realize and like you said, you know exactly what is in it. I definitely made my own food for my son and I'm so glad I did! Thanks so much for supporting me in my new linkup Countdown in Style, girly! Don't forget to stopy by on Friday to see if you've been featured! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way to go. Great demonstration. I didn't have to puree long because my baby liked to hold and naw on soft food. Noah hated peas though. LOL Baby food maker isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made all of my own baby food for all of my kids. It's just too easy. I never looked up a recipe though, I would just take what I was making without too much of any particular seasoning and divide it out. What I love is this tray. I've never seen it or heard of it and considering baby food can take up so much space in the freezer and you can move it to a bag, this is really an awesome invention. I converted to a magic bullet not too long ago that worked just fine for baby food.

    Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

    ~~April~~
    100lbCountdown.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!