Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kitchenista: Honeybun Cake

You would think that with all that we have going on right now that I wouldn't be bored. Well, today I was tired of organizing and cleaning. I thought it would be fun to take a break from that and bake a cake. Cause cakes make everything better, right? My Mom shared this recipe with me a few months ago. This is my first time making it and I think it turned out great. It smells delicious! I added walnuts just because, and I used Crisco instead of cooking oil. I'll serve it after dinner tonight with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

Oh. If you're wondering why these pics look a little off it's because my sassy little sous chef wasn't feeling up to baking today. I had to hold her the entire time I was making this cake. You will notice that my brown sugar is still crumbled, had to skip a couple steps, ha ha! Still tastes good though!
Ingredients
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix - I used Duncan Hines
4 Eggs
8oz Sour Cream - I used Daisy
3/4 Cup cooking oil
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons of Cinnamon (or more to taste)
For the Icing
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 to 2 teaspoons of Milk
(you will probably need two batches to cover cake)
Directions
Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Mix all of the ingredients together. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Set the other half aside. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of the sugar mix over the batter in the pan. Add the remaining batter, spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mix on top. Take a fork and swirl the top layer. Bake 35 minutes. Pour icing over cake while it is still hot.

For the Icing
Cream all ingredients together. Pour over cake right out of the oven!






honeybun cake




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn! I was surprised at how good it was. Just the right amount of sweet!

      Delete
  2. Cakes do make everything better! Will be trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good, bet it tasted better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tia!! Seeing this post definitely made my heart smile! When I was in high school, my bus driver made me a honeybun cake and I never got the recipe from her to make my own. Seeing this post reminded me of how good it was lol. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I will be making this soon for my family.

    It looks so yummy! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm so glad you found it! I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!