Friday, July 13, 2012

80s Party

Tonight I will be attending a Girl's Night Out/Going Away party for myself and another military spouse that will be moving soon. We are currently stationed in Georgia and will be making our way to Texas this summer. We've been stationed in Texas before so the move should be fairly easy. In fact, we were stationed there before we came to Georgia. So, we're going right back where we came from. Don't you love it? Anyway, tonight's party is being thrown by one of the other Mom's from Savannah's play group. I'm looking forward to it!
All of us are going to be decked out in 80s outfits. As an 80s baby (1984 to be exact) I really wasn't sure what I should wear. I hadn't really given much thought to my outfit until last night. Of course. Proper planning wins every time. I knew I wanted to wear a dress so I decided to go to Pinterest for some Pinspiration. I saw a couple of cute ideas that I figured would look okay on me. I want my outfit to look 80s not like a costume, if that's possible. After thinking about what was in my closet, I remembered that I have this fun black dress with a ruffled bottom. That's got 80s written all over it. Even though it was purchased in the 2000s.
Here I am in all my 80s glory. I went with the dress, leg warmers/leggings and a huge bow in my hair. It wouldn't be 80s if I didn't have a beaded necklace and some arm candy. I decided to go bright on my eye make-up and I'm pretty happy with my overall look.

80s Party costume

80s party costume
Dress - Express; very old
Ear Rings & Necklace - Express; very old
Watch - It was my Grandmother's, so chic & vintage.
Bracelets- A mix of Express & bangles from my Mom
Shoes- Steve Madden circa 2003
Everyone was asked to bring their favorite snack to the party. Since most of my favorite snack ideas got snatched up I decided to head to Pinterest. Again. I week ago I pinned this red velvet brownie recipe. Since I had most of the ingredients already this became my dish. They were pretty simple to make. It's raining here today. Baking and rainy days don't mix so hopefully they're tasty. I cooked them for 30 minutes. The suggested time was 35 minutes for gooey brownies. When I checked them at 30 they were done. I hope they're still gooey. Here are some of my pics from the baking process. You can get the actual recipe with directions here.

flour mix & egg mix

all mixed up

ready for the oven


cooked. it's VERY red. This pic doesn't really show it.

here's a close up.
Well, I'll be leaving for the party soon! What are you ladies doing this weekend? I'll be going to my husband's first MMA tournament tomorrow and we'll be visiting my Grandma for her 70th birthday on Sunday. Very full weekend, should be fun!

7 comments:

  1. hi tia! happily following...thank you for your comment yesterday! omygosh, i LOVE your 80's outfit...the dress and fun accessories look great on you! the party sounds like so much fun!
    wishing you a wonderful weekend <3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The party was a blast, great girlfriend time!

      Delete
  2. Cute outfit, I love a great themed party! Hope you had a fun time!

    xo,
    Brooke
    www.decorgreat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tia! I love the outfit! Last night we watched the new release of Footloose and really enjoyed it (an 80s era movie). I still remember the 80s fashion and music, as I was born in '75, so I guess I have a few years on you. :)

    Wishing you a fantastic time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a great time!! Hope your family enjoyed the movie, that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I love your 80's outfit. I've been wanting to go to one of those for the longest time. They always look like so much fun. Especially now that I'm natural and can rock a cute afro now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!