Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Black History Month 2016

This year for Black History month I decided to focus on three themes voting rights, famous inventors and black women who rock. I chose these themes because I wanted the kids to have something to relate what we're learning to their everyday lives.


So far this week we've read Lillian's Right to Vote. We talked about how important it is to vote during the elections to make your voice heard. I thought this was a very timely theme since we'll be voting for the next President soon.

Our family has been voting for things (like what's for dinner and what movie we want from RedBox) all week. They're young but I think they got the idea behind voting and I know Savannah understands the price that was paid for us to be able to vote. Lillian's Right to Vote is an amazing story that teaches children about the 15th Amendment, 19th Amendment, the march from Selma to Montgomery and the Voting Rights Act. We'll be adding it to our library.


Today we learned all about George Crum and how the potato chip was invented. These kids love chips. I read George Crum's bio while the kids ate chips. On Friday we will make our own just like George did. Savannah and I made a rhyme to help her remember today's lesson...


This month we'll be learning all about Garrett Morgan, George Washington Carver, Madam CJ Walker, Benjamin Banneker, Lonnie G Johnson, Serena Williams, Misty Copeland, Sheila E, Diana Ross and President Barack Obama. I'll be sharing our lessons here all month!

How are you celebrating Black History with your family?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about Lillian's Right to Vote and about George Crum. I just requested those books from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! We have to return books to the library today and I'm hoping there are still some Black History month picture books left.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing Lillian's Right to Vote! We're reading, Shades of Black A Celebration of Our Children by Sandra L. Pinkney & Minty A Story of Young Harriet Tubman by Alan Schroeder/Jerry Pinkney

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!