Monday, February 29, 2016

Army Wife Life: Planning Our Move

When March greets us tomorrow that will officially give my little family 90 days (or less) in our house. We are in the beginning phases of planning our move and it's making me that much more excited.

At some point during my pregnancy I started to get that ready to move itch that military families get. It may have been the hormones but I was so over this current duty station and ready to experience something new.

army wife moving tips

This is our fifth move in 11 years, not too bad. Now that I'm a bit more seasoned with how the process works I have figured out a few things that make the transition easier on all of us. I think moving in general can be hard on a family. It doesn't matter if you're moving across the street or to a new time zone like we are.

Now that we are three kids deep I am going to be proactive, organized and down right militant to make sure this move goes off without a hitch. Here is my plan to make sure we have the best move possible this Summer...

Celebrate where we are - I plan to have the family make a list of all the places they want to visit again before our time here is up. I feel that this helps us deal with saying goodbye a bit better. We'll check out all of our favorite places one last time before we chuck the deuces...

The logistics - When are the movers coming? Are we driving? Are we flying? How long will we be in a hotel? How much stuff will we need while in limbo?

Purge, Purge, Purge - I have already started getting rid of anything I don't want to see or deal with when that moving truck pulls up at our new house. Toys, clothes, shoes, baby gear, unused furniture - you name it. Everything that has not served a purpose must go.

Organize, Organize, Organize - When the movers arrive to pack everything it helps to have things as organized as possible. When like items are together when they arrive you have a better chance of them ending up in the same box and labeled for the same room. This is how I avoid having a flat iron boxed up with a blender.

If you need it while in limbo... - PUT IT IN YOUR CAR! Do not leave it in a room or closet. Do not think that labeling a room or closet will keep them from boxing that stuff up. Whatever we need to make it until our things are delivered to us always goes in the car.

Plan activities for packing day - There is no way I'm going to have all these kids running around while movers are here. The movers tackle your entire house in a day. Having kids running around doesn't sound like the best idea so I plan to leave my husband here to deal with the movers while the kids and I go play.

Focus on the future - Research schools, neighborhoods and fun activities in your new area. Plan some activities for the few days that you'll be living in the hotel. It's kind of like a built in vacation so take advantage of this time to become familiar with your new surroundings before your service member returns to work.

I have the next three months to get us ready to go. We have already decided what fun things we want to do again before leaving. This week I am going to start the purge process. With soccer season starting back up it will probably take me a while to get things thrown out or donated.

Tis' the season for new beginnings - let's get moving! Anyone else moving soon? How are you preparing?

2 comments:

  1. When it's time to move, purging is my favorite part. You find things you "lost" and get rid of things you know you don't need. I think its a great idea to get the kids out of the house on move day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You don't realize what you can live without until you move. It's stuff outside in our storage shed that we haven't seen or touched the entire time we've lived here. Pretty sure most of that stuff will get tossed or donated.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!