Monday, February 8, 2016

Army Wife Life: Things To Do Around JBSA (San Antonio)

Our time in San Antonio is coming to an end. I can't say that I'm sad about it either. I was starting to get that itch to move again. We've been stationed in San Antonio for almost four years and it has seemed like a lifetime.

I'm not even about to sit here and make it seem like this duty station has been one of my favorites. It hasn't been. I have talked about my love of Texas (or lack thereof) before. Military families normally love San Antonio. Many couples come back here to retire. Good for them. We won't be retiring here.

The one thing that I do love about San Antonio is that our time here resulted in three beautiful babies. Because of them, San Antonio will always have a special place in my heart.


Whenever you move to a new place it takes time to create your own sense of community. As soon as we get to a new place I immediately try to find a hair salon, Chinese restaurant, church and activities for us to enjoy regularly as a family. 

Here are my favorite spots for military families (and everyone else too):

San Antonio Zoo - It's small but it does the job. There's a carousel and a train ride. Your ticket to the zoo does not cover these rides. They offer a military discount for the zoo.

Sea World San Antonio - The splash pad is awesome. If you live close to Sea World consider getting a pass for your family. Aquatica and the splash pad will be worth your money. Military discount available.

Sea World San Antonio

McKenna Children's Museum in New Braunfels -  Lots to do and it's not overwhelming large. We've been many times and my kids have loved every trip.

San Antonio Rodeo - Every February the Rodeo comes to town and it's pretty fun. It's a fair like atmosphere with tons to do and see. Kids will love it. We always go during the day on $1 Fridays. There are some good musical acts at night, don't miss out. This is one of things about San Antonio that I truly enjoy. It reminds me of the county and state fairs that are all over the East coast in the Fall.

Downtown San Antonio - There's a mall, tons of restaurants, The Alamo, a movie theatre, souvenir shops etc... Be prepared for lots of walking. The riverwalk itself isn't that stroller friendly but it's doable. You'll have to pay to park. Try to go during the holiday season to see the Christmas lights, it's beautiful.

The Alamo

Phil Hardberger Park - We had a play date here once and it was perfect. Playgrounds, walking trails and plenty of shade...

JBSA - Ft. Sam Houston Quadrangle - Admission is FREE and you can feed deer, peacocks and chickens. There might be other animals too. The animals roam freely so be prepared for that if your little ones don't like being up close to animals.

JBSA - Ft. Sam Houston Splash Pad - Call before you go to make sure the splash pad is open and operating.

Splashtown San Antonio - Military discount available. I wasn't expecting much from this water park right off the interstate but it was lots of fun. We were exhausted after a few hours. I would absolutely go back.

Wu's Chinese Restaurant - New York style Chinese food located off Judson. It's the best near Ft. Sam and Randolph. I have tried every Chinese place around the bases so please don't waste your time going any where else.

Maven Hair Studio - Ask for Tamika - She does every thing from relaxers to color to natural hair. She's responsible for my natural hair pixie.

San Antonio Botanical Garden - Kind of pricey for what you get but it's pretty. We went during their Lego exhibit and the kids enjoyed it.


Mi Tierra & Bakery Decorated beautifully and the food is amazing. I get the enchiladas. All the shops on Produce Row are fun to check out too.

I'll continue to add to this list as I go through our pictures and remember our time here. This is a great start for military families arriving to the area. Have you visited San Antonio? What was your favorite thing about this city?

Oh. And be sure to check out San Antonio Mom Blogs for ALL things San Antonio. Every month she shares a list of things to do in the city. You'll find everything from free nights at the museum to festivals in the surrounding areas.

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go to San Antonio...but it seems so expensive. I checked into coming to Blogher when it was there but it was WAY too expensive just to get to the city. These sites seem fun!!! So where are you all headed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty expensive to fly here for some reason. I think San Antonio is a great place to visit. You would enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. It's been 4 years?!! I remember when y'all moved. I've been to San Antonio and enjoyed but I was in and out. Can't to see where you all end up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I can't believe it's time to move again but I am so ready.

      Delete
  3. I would love to visit San Antonio. The riverwalk area looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The riverwalk is nice. When the weather is right you can spend your whole day there.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!