Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Breastfeeding

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. A nice long weekend is always a treat. We had a blast at the couple's retreat and I'll be doing a recap post this week to share what we learned. Every day I try to do a little more around the house to prepare for the baby. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I've been trying to refresh myself on all things newborn. Today while I was browsing Facebook I came across a video that a friend of mine posted. It was about breastfeeding and how our country views this natural ability. Check out the video below. It may not be safe for work due to nudity.



As I have mentioned on this blog before I am an advocate for breastfeeding. I breastfed Savannah for thirteen months before transitioning her to organic milk. I plan to breastfeed again. There are several reasons as to why one should breastfeed. I made the decision to do it because I couldn't understand why I'd buy milk when I was already making it for free. (See. Swiper wasn't swiping back then either.) So yes. My reasons for breastfeeding started out because it seemed crazy to spend money on something that I could get for free. After doing more research and attending a breastfeeding class I learned that there were so many other incredible benefits for choosing breastfeeding. 

Just like most Moms out there I was met with my own set of challenges while breastfeeding. I didn't know if I was producing enough milk. I wondered if she was getting "enough". I was frustrated because it seemed like I couldn't nurse then pump like some Moms do. I never had a supply of milk in my freezer. These things frustrated me because I thought it was going to be easy to nurse and then pump to build a supply. I was wrong. My body just wouldn't do it. After speaking with friends and lactation consultants the one thing they all said was to not stop breastfeeding. They encouraged me to stay with it. I'm so glad I did. These are one of the many instances in life where you can actually see God working. It was an amazing thing. To know that my body was made for my baby, and that I would always be able to give her exactly what she needed. What a blessing.

I give breastfeeding all the credit for my daughter's health. She's hardly ever sick and she's never had a fever. I haven't had to take her to the doctor for anything other than her regular milestone check-ups and shots. Now. I know there will be bottle feeding Moms out there who will say the same thing. I'm not bottle bashing at all. I think you should do whatever works best for you and your family. Breastfeeding is an amazing thing and I encourage everyone to try it. Every little bit of breast milk helps your baby. What are your thoughts on the video and breastfeeding?

8 comments:

  1. Breast feeding is an amazing thing and so natural and easy for me. I'm just not looking forward to pumping because in the past it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it hurting a little too. Eventually I think I got use to it and I used the medela cream.

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes.. Breast feeding is such a wonderful gift that we are able to give our children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think that everyone should give a try at least once before returning back to work.

      Delete
  3. Great post. I will be sharing. I have no problem breastfeeding and I am so glad you shared that you went 13 months without a freezer stash. It can be done. There are no excuses. Now as for the sick baby thing...my sour milk has let me down a couple times. ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour milk?? Hahahaha, I am dying!!! Please share, I'll probably have more breastfeeding posts when I actually start doing it this summer. I never had a freezer stash and I barely ever had bottles in the fridge. It can be done!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't make it without my freezer stash but that's because I'm not a sahm. It's running low now though so I'm trying to build it back up so I can go out for my birthday lol! Sadie issue almost 10 months old now, never had formula and I've been at work over 6 months. It's a bit of a struggle to keep up but somehow we've been doing it! I love breastfeeding. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!! I can imagine that it's tough, but it's crazy how things always work out. I am hoping to have a small stash this time around for outings.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!