Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Day in the Life: A Moment in Target

Today Savannah and I visited our local Bullseye to do some shopping for a baby shower I'll be attending this weekend. We got there printed out the registry and began shopping for things that had nothing to do with our mission. Somehow we ended up in the shoe section. I found some super cute sandals for the both of us. Her sandals were on sale for like seven bucks. Great deal.
Anyway, after we did a little shopping for ourselves we drifted over to the baby section to pick out a gift for my newest nephew. After selecting a few things we went over to the greeting cards and gift bags. This is where our moment with a well meaning stranger (read moron) happened.
There were some stickers hanging on the end of the aisle near the cards for baby boy baby showers. Ever since Savannah was potty trained she has a strong affection for stickers. We used them for her potty chart. So whenever she sees stickers she says "stickas stickas". Yep. She double times it. So while I was trying to pick out the perfect card she was pointing and saying "stickas stickas" in hopes of maybe taking some home.
Enter the well meaning stranger. Her voice sounded like a judgemental substitute teacher. "What is she talking about?" I responded. Oh, she's showing me the stickers. "How could you possibly know that?" Well, because she's saying stickers and pointing to them. Insert my blank stare. "It sounds like a bunch of baby talk to me. Do you speak baby?" I grabbed a card and pushed my cart to the next aisle. As I'm walking away I heard her tell her male companion "Only babies know what they're saying. Adults can't understand."
Now. As Moms we all know what our kid is saying most of the time. Baby talk or not. This is my first kid so I won't assume to know everything but I do know that if my kid is pointing to stickers and saying "stickas stickas" chances are she's talking about stickers. The lesson that I learned today was "Never engage in a conversation with a well meaning stranger (read moron)." Especially the judgemental ones. Some strangers have no shame. To make matters worse when I got home I realized that I forgot to buy lotion. Why did I forget? Because I got sucked into a small chat session at the end of my trip that irritated me and distracted me from my mission. Sigh.
I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Blogs for Women.

11 comments:

  1. I agree that as moms we might not everything but if there's one thing we know it's our kids and how to communicate with them and how they communicate with us. Even if she wasn't pointing at the stickers, any sane person would be able to translate stickas as being her way of saying stickers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I felt like she was saying it so clearly. That's why the whole conversation threw me off, LOL!

      Delete
  2. How could you possibly know that?" Well, because she's saying stickers and pointing to them. Insert my blank stare.

    haha I love this! Funny she would ask you what she is talking about then assume you don't really know.

    Ugh, people these days....why don't some people learn to mind their business? That conversation was so useless. And now you are going to risk having ashy elbows and knees because of it. lol smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes! I am very upset about having to go back to the store for one thing. I hate that, LOL!

      Delete
    2. iHoller at ashy knees and elbows!!!

      Delete
  3. ugh, i'm sorry you had an encounter with that moron. some people amaze me with how easily they just say things to perfect strangers - and rude things that they don't even realize are, at that.
    your daughter is adorable.
    i hope you get your lotion. :)
    have a wonderful day. <3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's a sweetie! Sometimes I feel like I have a target on my forehead (no pun intended) because we're always attracting these people. It's funny to me now so at least I'm getting a good laugh out of it.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh how rude is that lady!! Golly! People love to get into mom's business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was rude. I was so caught off guard and slightly confused by the whole thing!

      Delete
  5. They sound like wackanoodles. Good you walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what the hell, she must be mentally not there or not have kids because I understand 90% of what my 'babies' tell me. omfg with her.
    Xo Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!