Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Great Pacifier Debate

So here's another debate about the pacifier or binky sparked by another celebrity. Years ago I remember everyone talking about how crazy it was that little Suri Cruise was still hanging on to her paci. A little girl that had been known to wear a slight heel on her shoe was still tossing back the binky. 

Credit



Fast forward a couple years and now we have the great debate but this time it's about Alicia Key's son, Egypt. Pictured below with his Dad, rapper and producer, Swizz Beatz and his paci. Now. Egypt is only two but when he was pictured with his mother and his paci recently the world wide web went ablaze. I've seen blogs pulling studies on pacifiers out of their research files and diagnosing this little guy with all kinds of behavior issues. All I could do was laugh. One site even posted a comment from a reader that called Alicia a lazy Mom.

Really? Lazy? Now. I completely understood the hoopla about Suri because she was a walking, talking heel wearing fashionista. This craziness about little Egypt just seems ridiculous. He's only two, give him (and his Momma) a break. I can't relate to the binky addiction because I got rid of Savannah's when she was about nine or ten months old. However, I will say that what's good for one duo may not be good for another. I could have never looked at a pacifier that long. With that said I'm pretty sure it's some stuff that Sav does that other Moms would never put up with.

What do you all think about the pacifier debate? 

15 comments:

  1. I really don't think it's that big of deal for a two year old to use a paci. My daughter will be two in December and was still using her paci at night until a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! He's only two, give them a break!

      Delete
  2. V sleeps with a paci at 2. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm glad she doesn't need it during the day though. I can't understand what paci tots are saying at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I say to each his own. What works for one family might not work for another and we should all respect each other's choices.

      Delete
  3. I say people need to focus on their own kids when it comes to this kind of stuff. What is the deal about a pacifier? It's not like they're letting the kids take a puff of a cigarette for goodness sake. We have bigger issues like ending childhood obesity and abuse that these people who want to debate and research pacifiers to get to work on solving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There are so many other things we should be concerned about!

      Delete
  4. People seriously don't have any lives. I don't see the big deal with pacifiers. It could be just plain comfort for the child who doesn't have the most normal life being in the media. (Not that he knows that yet) but people need to find something better to do in their communities than grip about pacifiers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too think that it might be a comfort thing for him. His little life is probably a lot to handle for a little person.

      Delete
  5. The only issue I have with it is that it starts messing with their teeth. My son had his until his 18 month check up. The doc told me his teeth were starting to curve in so we needed to get rid of it ASAP. Other that that to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had any issues with pacifiers since neither of my daughters cared for it. Now on the other hand I thought I'd never get them off the boob! LMAO But personally I don't care to see a 6 year old walking around with one, but that's just my opinion and it's not like I'm going to go up to someone and say something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even think twice when I posted that picture for another topic. Lol I am not sure when the right age is to let go but I grew up hearing a baby was too old to have a pacifier. Noah never took to one so I can't understand what it's like for a child to find comfort in it. But I assume the same goes for bottle, thumb, blankies, and baby dolls. Parents just make these rules based on how silly it looks I think. I tend to mind my business and keep my thoughts to myself because I know now that I'm a mom, ppl probably look at me crazy to. Like when Noah didn't have socks on in the summer lol Goooood post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pacifiers are nurturing for kids. The naturally want to suck on something and it gives them great comfort. My first kid was a paci lover and used it until she was almost 2. I finally took it away because she wasn't talking much due to it. I never let my other two kids use the paci for a comfort measure and they never really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, I think folks should learn to mind their own business. I just don't understand these parenting/mothering debates. WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS DO? TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN.

    Now I personally didn't want my kid on the paci after two (and she wasn't). Her dentist said as long as it's before four years old, then it shouldn't be a problem. Sure enough, I was thinking, "FOUR? REALLY?" But that doesn't mean if I walked out of his office and saw a four-year-old with a paci, I'd be judging the parents. Why do people do that?

    But again, that's just me.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly! Take care of your own kids! I was very surprised when I saw this story getting buzz because he's only 2. If he were 7 it may have raised my eyebrow but I still wouldn't be throwing shade. To each their own...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son took a pacifier until he was about 2. I had to throw it away and go cold turkey. That required about a week of night time screaming and then one day he was just over it.

    I think over 2 is a bit much, I think he is okay. People need to mind their own business.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!