Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Box Braids Experience

So. I took my braids out a couple days ago. I couldn't make it to two months. I really did love having them and they were pretty gorgeous but it was time for me to say goodbye to them. The best part about having braids was that it gave me a break from thinking about my own hair. I also got to try out a new hair color. I plan to dye my hair that color if I can find it. The downside to having braids was that they broke my skin out for some reason. My forehead has been jacked up like a pubescent teen for the past few weeks.

It took me from eight o' clock in the morning until about four o' clock in the evening to take my braids out. I took about an hour break to make Savannah lunch and put her down for a nap. No one told me that taking braids out was pure torture. It was the task that just would not end. After they were all out I ended up with a very fluffy Afro. It was gorgeous. I was kind of sad because I knew that it would be gone the second I washed my hair. My hair has major shrinkage so my curly Afro is no where near as big as my post braids 'fro. I've been doing a little youtubing and I plan to recreate that look. 

Since I didn't want to shampoo my hair and start that whole process in the evening. So I did a prepoo of coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and honey. It sat all night. When I was done shampooing my hair the next morning it was super soft. Still is actually. All the softness in the world couldn't make up for how tangled it was though. It took me two whole hours to get my hair detangled and into some two strand twists. During this process I decided that I would probably not be getting my hair braided again. Like ever. It was a task and a half. I would have paid someone to do it. 

My soldier snapped some pics of me while I was taking my braids out. Savannah must have seen that I was struggling because she starting helping me at one point, ha ha!








7 comments:

  1. Oh yea. Thats the reason I dont braid much. I barely last 5 weeks and I hate taking them out. My husband has had to help my the last few times. Imagine that.. LOL It think you had a good run though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first time, LOL, I wish I had known how hard it was going to be, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My forehead has been jacked up like a pubescent teen for the past few weeks"

    LOL, I can't stop laughing at that line. I know how you feel. I got my hair braided for the first time last summer and my skin broke out horribly. Not to mention the braids were so tight it pulled some of my hair out around the edges. Still, it was nice to not have to worry about styling it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! I didn't lose any hair but the acne was enough to make me NEVER want to do it again! No one told me about braid acne, Lol, now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I despise taking braids out. It looks like it grew a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful! It did grow some and that's the only reason I'd ever get them again!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh you wore my summer braid experience here without missing any key details! I just braid my hair now because my gave has cleared up majorly except for old scars. Never again unless they are Senegalese twists.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!