Monday, March 24, 2014

Preschool at Home: Kindergarten Preparation

Now that we've gotten into a better schedule centered around learning I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of everything I wanted to teach Savannah before she starts school next year. This is my last school year having her at home and I want to make sure she is prepared for her first day of school.

This list is based off what Sav already knows and what she still has to learn. I'm pretty sure there are some things that I may have forgotten so I'll do an updated list and share it if I need to. I am still really loving the Preschool Prep Company's literacy tools. She's on their level 3 sight word reading books now. As we go through each book she gets better at sounding out words. It's been so neat watching her become a little reader.


Kindergarten prep checklist

I really need to do a lot better about teaching her numbers and math. I am a word person and I naturally gravitate towards books and writing. I plan to start alternating our lessons. One day we'll do Reading/Writing and the next day we'll do Counting/Math. That's my plan between now and next August when she starts school.

What do you think of this list? Anything I missed? Feel free to pin and share if you'd like!

5 comments:

  1. This is a great list. I'm a big fan of more.starfall.com and Kumon workbooks. My son has always liked math and numbers and he enjoys playing the games on starfall and has learned a lot on the site. Starfall is only 35 dollars for one year.There are lots of great games that teach numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, counting money, and shapes. Kumon workbooks are great because it is very step by step. With the simple addition book you learn how to add numbers to 1 and have lots of practice before moving on to adding numbers to 2, 3, and so on. They use the same approach with subtraction and multiplication. I prefer the My First Books vs. the grade level books when it comes to Kumon. I hope I had not already shared this with you before. But I love more.starfall.com and Kumon workbooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great list. Its awesome simply having a plan. Sav is sure to excel in kindergarten with a plan like this. ;-) It's great to be ahead of the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great list! We have a lot of work to do. I want Little J to be well ahead of her class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great checklist! I think if she masters all of the things on this list, she will be way ahead of her class by the time she starts. She'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The demographics and background of the children attending this facility is a good mix (something i was very particular about seeing as how my son is of mixed race).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!