Thursday, April 3, 2014

Preschool at Home: Reading Resources (Sight Words)

I have often found that when people know how to do something, like sewing or doing hair, they are often not interested in teaching other people how to do it. Some may not even be willing to share how they learned. That's so funny to me. It's like they don't want anyone else to learn how to do something they're good at. They may even tell you that they'll be more than happy to teach you or share the info but they never follow through on that…

Well. As I have said before, I am a girl's girl. If I know something and I think it can help you I am going to share it. If I see that something has worked for my daughter or son I will be more than happy to share that with you. Why not? Sharing is caring and at some point I know I'll need someone to care for me and mine.

Today I am going to share some of the resources I have found online to make introducing Savannah to reading a breeze. We first started off by learning letters and their phonetic sounds and then we moved to sight words. I am not a teacher or educator of any sort. I am fumbling my way through teaching my daughter. I try different things until I find what works. So please consider all of that when you are reading these preschool posts. I'm just sharing our journey and I am not trying to come off as an expert at all.

Teaching Sav the sight words extremely boosted her confidence in reading. She even sounds out words a lot better too. We still have a long way to go but I think we're off to a great start. My little lady should be reading by her birthday and that was my goal for 2014. With that said, here are all 220 of the non-noun sight words sub-divided into five levels.

I like making my own flashcards. Since Savannah already knows many of these I'll be making cards for the words we still need to work on. If you visit this site you can download bingo cards to go along with the sight words. That's another fun way to help them learn. You may also remember that we like playing "musical words" or "word hop". I lay all the cards out on the floor and I have Savannah hop to the word I call out or I play music, she walks around, when he music stops she has to pick a word and tell me what it is. Very fun!


Did you find this helpful? I'll continue to share stuff as we find what works for us. Feel free to share and pin!

7 comments:

  1. Word hop sounds fun. I think my six year old will enjoy playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm a stay at home and my 3 year old daughter is getting a bit bored with our routine. I'll be visiting your Preschool at Home posts for inspiration. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope your little one enjoys learning their sight words!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm a stay at home and my 3 year old daughter is getting a bit bored with our routine. I'll be visiting your Preschool at Home posts for inspiration. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! I've been slipping since we moved, but I have plans to visit the Dollar Store and restock the flashcards, workbooks, puzzles, ect for Little J that we still haven't located. I seriously love that place. Best school supplies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to make our own flash cards as well. Great job Tia! I think Sav will be reading this summer too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!