Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mommy Reflections: What I've Learned So Far


I can not believe my baby girl is three already. Whoa. Time sure is flying. I remember the day she was born. She was a tiny little angel with bright pink lips. Her hair was jet black. I held her as much as I could and she went every where I did. Always. She was my precious sweet little baby.

Fast forward three years and here we are. She's a big girl now. She's full of imagination. Her bright eyes fill me up. She's still my baby but she's a big girl now. I find myself thinking about how we got to where we are. She's so smart and funny.


This past three years has taught me a lot. I've learned to be less stressed about the little things. I still struggle with it but it helps so much not to get all worked up over every little thing. Perhaps the biggest lesson that I have learned is to keep things simple. As parents we want to create all these amazing memories for our kids and I think sometimes we forget that you don't always have to be over the top and perfect. Savannah has reminded me that it's the little things that she enjoys. I don't have to throw her big parties or fancy play dates. I don't have to spend a lot of money or buy her the latest greatest toy. All she wants from me is my attention and time. Both of those things are free. 

I am reminded that children are just like adults in many ways. All they want is to know that someone is paying attention to them. They want to know that someone cares about what they have to say and how they feel. You don't need superMom powers for that. You don't have to be the craftiest Pinterest pinning Mama for that. All you have to be is yourself. After all, God chose me to be her mother so I am enough just the way I am. Of course, there's nothing wrong with trying or learning new things but I am enough just like this. 

As I am coming into my own as a Mom I keep reminding myself that the tough times are temporary. She won't always be this little. She won't always be this busy. She won't always need me. While she still does it's important that I soak it up. I have to learn to slow down and not just go through the motions of the day. I am learning that every moment that we have together (even her sassy testy moments) are times that I should enjoy. I've got to become better at taking a deep breath and not letting every time she misbehaves send me to a bad place. It's not always that serious.

I must remember that she's only three. It's not fair to her for me to expect her to behave any older than that. So I've learned to appreciate the days where she acts five and understand the days where she struggles with growing up. It's going to happen. I won't always be the perfect Mom and she won't always be the perfect kid -- And it's all going to be OK.



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. It's all s true. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter. This is my favorite "All you have to be is yourself. After all, God chose me to be her mother so I am enough just the way I am."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The older she gets the more I learn about myself.

      Delete
  2. Love this Post!!!!! Happy Birthday Savannah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motherhood is definitely about keeping it simple and enjoying the present. Once they grow up you can't go back in time to remake memories. I've learned too that kids struggle like we do. I'm not always at my best everyday and so I make allowances for Moo and JJ to have their moments. Now if they go too far, Mama does bring them back into reality.

    However, for the most part I can't complain. Like you I know there will be a day they won't need me and with each passing birthday I start to get sad knowing that but excited because I know I'm equipping them with the right tools to soar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to embrace this crazy time. With a toddler and a baby it hasn't been easy every day. Keeping it simple has helped a lot.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post and beautiful baby girl...it is amazing how fast time can go by when we remember holding them in our arms what seems like moments ago.

    Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Mommy Monday Blog Hop...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. I try to remind myself of this everyday when I get frustrated at something with my toddler. Once she grows up, I know that I will miss this age, so it is important to cherish every moment.

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I admit some days are harder than others but it's all part of the experience of being a Mom and I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely post!
    I enjoyed reading every word. I used to get these times where I would feel so overwhelmed by everything. I keep reminding myself if it means something doesn't get done today that it will get done another day. What's important to me now is my families happiness. They are only children once!
    Stopping by from the “Mommy Monday” blog hop. Now following you on Bloglovin, Twitter, and Facebook. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    Have a great week :)
    Bismah @
    Simple Mama

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so adorable! I love how you talk about balancing and learning where she is like if she acts older or younger. I find myself doing that with my little guy too! Happy Birthday Savannah! Thank you so much for sharing with us on Mommy Monday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is adorable!!!! I have found myself questioning whether or not I am doing enough with or for my son, then I always come to realize that all he wants is my attention and my time - which as you so perfectly stated is completely free. Everything that you've said is perfectly true. Beautiful post!

    Natasha @ EpicMommyAdventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for linking up with This Momma's Meandering Mondays! This is a wonderful post and oh so true! My kids are 11, 13, and 20 and the things they remember the most are the living room camp outs that I would have with my oldest son after his dad and I divorced...tea parties while watching Beauty and the Beast, or girls make-up days with my lil miss, picnic's on the living room floor. Don't sweat the small stuff and keep the love alive! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!