Friday, July 15, 2016

Zucchini Pasta Two Ways

zucchini noodles pasta

I am in the fifth day of the 21 Day Fix Extreme challenge. It has been a great experience so far and I'll share more of my experience, tips, updated photo and measurements on Sunday or Monday. For now I want to concentrate on this delicious zucchini pasta I made last night.

I have eaten this salad twice in two different ways within the past 24 hours. That's how good it is. It was also easy to make.

zucchini noodles pasta

Since yesterday was National Hot Dog Day (whose making up these days?) I wanted to give myself a break from cooking like a Top Chef let the kids have hot dogs. I love a good hot dog. I like them topped with chili and cheese. Tomatoes and Onion. A squirt of mustard, jalapeños and plain potato chips.

I'm a Carolina girl. Messy foods make me happy. If grease isn't running down my hands while I'm eating a burger or dog someone didn't do something right. And that's why I'm doing the 21 Day Fix.

Fix it Jesus.

zucchini noodles pasta

I wanted to have a hot dog too so I ventured out on a beautiful day with my three little ones and searched for the healthiest hot dog I could find. After looking in three different stores I found a meatless veggie dog. 


You may or may not believe me but this hot dog was just as good as an all beef dog. That may have had something to do with my toppings. I had to switch up my topping game to something that was 21 Day Fix approved and this is what I came up with...

zucchini noodles pasta

Feast your eyes upon my healthy veggie dog topper. This is all you need to make this at home...

1 Zucchini
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/4 of a white onion
2 Teaspoons of finely chopped jalapeño (You can use fresh or jarred)
A dash of sea salt
A sprinkle of pepper

Spiralize your zucchini. Thinly slice the bell pepper and onion. Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss.

I added some to my veggie dog and it was amazing.

zucchini noodles pasta

zucchini noodles pasta



Now I know what you're thinking... you're thinking, "Is that bread allowed in the meal plan?" The answer to that is yes and no. Technically, I only had enough yellow (carb) servings left for one bun. I had enough protein servings left for two dogs - so...... I ate the other bun.  I felt guilty about it at first. Then I reminded myself that this is a lifestyle change and I have to be able to eat things like hot dogs.

I have to.

This was a much healthier version than I would normally eat so I'm giving myself credit for that. Kudos to me because it could've been a lot messier around here yesterday.

Since I had so much zucchini salad/pasta left over I decided to have the rest for lunch today. I chopped up some leftover rotisserie chicken from earlier this week. Warmed it in the microwave and voila....

zucchini noodles pasta recipe

Lunch was served. So easy. Healthy. And delicious. Give this spicy little number a try. Thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!