Monday, January 25, 2016

How I Handle the Stress of Being a Mother

Lately I have been so busy. I literally run from one task or baby to the next all day long. It can be overwhelming and emotionally exhausting trying to keep up with everything. I don't know about you but when I recognize myself falling into a place where I have no balance I start practicing some pretty bad habits.

I start looking around at what everyone else is doing, trying to figure out how I can catch up and I find myself complaining more than I should. When this happens I remind myself about three of the best rules that I live by. These three little mantras keep me centered and content in the midst of all the craziness that being a woman tends to bring.

inspirational motherhood quote


Comparison is the thief of joy. Whenever we compare ourselves to others we fight a losing battle with ourselves. What another woman has going on in her life has absolutely nothing to do with my personal journey or God's purpose for my life. We are all on different paths for a reason. Allowing yourself to become distracted by comparing yourself to someone else is one of the biggest mistakes we can make. Therefore, I don't compare myself to anyone else.

As I am growing I have also learned the difference between healthy and unhealthy competition. As women, I think we are in situations often where we feel like we have to compete. Whether we realize it or not we feel tempted to keep up with the Joneses. We sign our kids up for all these activities or we put unnecessary pressure on ourselves so that we can 'be the best'. Or so that we can appear to be the best. Motherhood isn't a sport in the Olympics. I don't compete with other women because I recognize that we are all trying to do our best. There's no need to try to out Mom someone. It's stupid. I have learned that you'll run yourself ragged trying to prove to someone else how great you are. Either they'll see it or they won't. Their opinion of you doesn't make you any less awesome.

I think we are all guilty of complaining at some point. The occasional vent is understood but complaining all the time about everything is a slippery slope. I believe that we are the words that we speak. It is always my goal to be careful with what I give life to with my words. Sometimes it's hard when you're in your feelings not to say how you may truly feel about something or someone. It is always my goal to speak positively about whatever I'm going through. No matter what it's about. I don't complain because I have learned that in the end it gets me no where. Instead I pray about everything and complain about nothing. (this is the toughest one for me lately)

These three little mantras help me as a woman and as a mother. When the kids are acting crazy I don't compare us to another family, I don't try to force them to be like someone else's children (me competing as a Mom) and I don't let the occasional vent go too far.

What do you think about the idea of keeping these three Cs in mind when dealing with different issues? I have found that they can be applied to just about any situation.

4 comments:

  1. I've been working on not complaining lately. When I want to complain I think about something that I'm grateful for. Practicing gratitude has been a life changer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I don't compete with other moms. I actually get inspired when I see other moms who appear to just do it all. It motivates me to do more and know that I can do it. I just wrote a post about my lack of confidence so I'm encouraged when I see the success of others and it helps build my confidence. On the other hand to some I seem like the perfect parent and I've had many mothers say they compare them selves to me. Sure on the outside it all looks good but I'm a mess; most of the time stressed and my anger increasing builds inside. I'm working on it but you really don't know what others are going through only what you see. I think I have finally figured out this motherhood thing for me and that's to relax and spend more time enjoying the moments. I use to want everything perfect and that creates high stress but now I just cherish and enjoy the moments. The kids are much happier now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. We are all an inspiration to someone. When I started to relax more I also noticed my stress subsiding. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!