Wednesday, January 27, 2016

40 Ways to Recharge Solo

Have you ever just needed to recharge? I'm not talking about a girl's night out or a vacation. I'm talking about a couple hours alone to just breathe and think, recharge.

In the past I have confused this need to recharge with the need to have some good girlfriend time. I would maybe meet a friend for lunch or go shopping and we would have a great time but...

When our little outing was over I'd get back in my car and still not feel recharged. Even though I would have had a blast with my friend I'd still feel like I could use a couple hours completely unplugged. As I have gotten older I have embraced the beauty that is alone time.

Being a military wife has made very comfortable with doing things solo too. Whenever we relocate I do lots of things by myself while I'm getting adjusted to our new surroundings. I thought I would share some of my ideas with you here...


1. Have lunch at a restaurant you have always wanted to try.
2. Visit a makeup counter and have a new look created for you.
3. Find a new fragrance.
4. Volunteer at a local pet shelter. (WARNING: This may result in a new furry family member!)
5. Try a new fitness class.
6. Take a dance class.
8. Paint a picture.
9. Attend a cooking class or demonstration. (Williams Sonoma offers some great free classes.)
10. Go to the movies.
11. Learn a new craft or hobby. (Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics offer classes)
12. Enjoy a mani pedi at a place nicer than your normal nail salon.
13. Get a massage.
14. Do some reading at your local library or favorite book store.
15. Get a haircut.
16. Carelessly wander the aisles of Target or Home Goods.
17. Have some coffee and dessert at a mom and pop diner.
18. Get fitted for a new bra.
19. Go for a walk.
20. Visit an esthetician and get a facial.
21. Check out a new gallery in a museum.
22. Watch the sunrise.
23. Meditate.
24. Clean out your email inbox at Starbucks. Grab a snack and take advantage of that free wi-fi.
25. Shop for swimsuits if it's that time of the year...
26. Or shop for shoes instead.
27. Go thrifting.
28. Pop up at a couple open houses or visit some model homes for interior design inspiration.
29. Visit a local winery...
30. Or buy a few bottles of wine you haven't tried and do a tasting after the kids are in bed.
31. Shop for antiques at a flea market.
32. Take a nap. At a hotel. With room service.
33. Go for a swim.
34. Volunteer at a food bank.
35. Visit a botanical garden and take instagram worthy pics with your 'real' camera.
36. Get behind the wheel of a car that you love during a test drive.
37. Grab one of those coloring books for adults, put on some music and get creative.
38. Play solitaire.
39. Order Chinese and catch up on your DVR.
40. Go for a bike ride.

It is a beautiful thing when you can spend time alone and enjoy it. Treat yourself to some alone time when you can. It is so refreshing to be able to hear yourself think or enjoy something uninterrupted. There's nothing wrong with taking a little time for yourself. See anything on this list that speaks to you? What are some of your favorite ways to spend time alone?

3 comments:

  1. The universe always turns the tables on me when I try to complain. Who ever I try and vent to it seems the have a bigger and better story than mine I just have to listen. I realized that listening is therapeutic and I usually feel better just being the listening ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching TV, reading,going to the library alone, and shopping by myself are my favorite ways to spend alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching TV, reading,going to the library alone, and shopping by myself are my favorite ways to spend alone time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!