Monday, July 13, 2015

Easy Toy Storage for Kid's Room

So I said that I would keep you all up to date with how decluttering and simplifying things around here was going. It has truly been a team effort and I am happy to report that we are pretty much done with everything that was on my to-do list.


I don't know about you but toys being everywhere drives me crazy. There was a point where there was literally a toy every where I looked. I finally had to say enough was enough and figure out a plan to organize them. We started in Savannah's room.

At first I thought about getting one of those popular open shelf cubby hole bucket type storage systems. You've seen them before. In theory, I like what they represent but I knew that wouldn't be a good fit for us. I wanted something that would put the toys completely out of my sight when they aren't being played with. Messy open buckets on a shelf would drive me crazy.


After searching online for what seemed like forever I again decided to take it back to the old school way of doing things again. Once I found these I knew they were for us. Not only were they inexpensive but each drawer is so huge. There's a drawer for each kind of toy. Now Savannah always knows where her toys are and she's being taught to organize her own things. This has been so helpful with getting her to actually clean up after herself. Her room has been clean and there aren't random toys in my living room anymore. Mommy-win.


I also love the fact that these storage units can actually grow with her. When she outgrows toys, as long as these are still in great shape, we can always use them for something. Storage is always so limited in military housing and this is a great solution to one of our many storage problems. 

I should also mention that part of the decluttering process was getting rid of toys. We sat down together and filled a couple boxes with toys she was no longer playing with. I talked to her about giving to other little girls who may not have toys and she happily donated toys to them. She rode with me to Goodwill and helped me dropped them off. So, there was a purging process involved.

My next project for the kid's is finding a better bookshelf to hold their entire library. Any suggestions?

What do you think? Do you like the idea of opting for these drawers over the open shelving options? How do you control the clutter of toys at your house?


5 comments:

  1. We're going through the same process at my house!! The toys my daughter has accumulated is crazy & she's only 6! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Toys add up quickly! After donating some of her toys it was very easy to organize and store them.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Awesome post! Decluttering has the tendency to make me consider becoming a minimalist! ;) LOL! We use the cube storage organizer with 6 small cubes - 1 cube for each of my 3 children (they have different interests because of their ages/gender) and 3 cubes are for "community toys" - musical instruments, vehicles, and blocks/legos. I just get rid of toys as they damage them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Donating a lot of toys really did help with pulling things together. I am officially convinced that kids can have "too many" toys now.

      Delete
  3. These are great! I like the fact that they have drawers that close! When they're open top, things have a tendency to fall out and defeat the purpose of cleaning. This also helps to keep a handle on how many toys they have a one time. My kiddos give away toys as they get them. This would work by saying that when you have too many toys to fit in your drawers, its time to share them with other kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!