Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Rant About the Kindergarten Checklist Pin

Okay Mommy friends. You might remember this post  where I shared some of the learning goals for Savannah between now and next year when she starts school. Well. In that post I had a pretty little checklist that I thought other Moms would find helpful so I pinned it.

The response has been overwhelming. Thank you to anyone that pinned, liked or shared this pin with a friend. I really appreciate it. The amount of people that "liked" this pin outweigh the naysayers and negative nancies. However, I would be lying if I told you I wasn't confused about some of these comments.


For starters, I would consider myself a good "Mommy friend". Meaning that I'm not critical of what my friends or other Moms choose to do with their kids. I have friends with kids in private school, public school and I have friends who homeschool. All of them made the decision that they felt was best for their child. Now. While I may joke with my friends about things (like how many of them think I should continue to homeschool and I already know I'm not 'bout that homeschool life long term - at least I feel that way now - things could change…) I don't ever make them feel like their decision is wrong. 

That's just not how I get down. If you like it, I love it. If you want to teach your child everything from the basics to multiplication and how DNA works all before Kindergarten - good for you. If you only want to cover the basics with your kid - good for you. And lastly, if you don't want to teach your child anything before they start school then do you boo but that's not how I operate.

As a stay at home Mom I feel that I would be doing my children a disservice if I didn't at least try to give them a stronger foundation for learning. I am home with them everyday. Everyday we have an opportunity to learn something. Sure we still play and have lots of fun but in my house education comes first. It always will. So, there's no point in waiting until they start school for them to learn that. They need to know that now. Those are the expectations we have for our children. 

I strongly believe that a child is capable of learning anything as long as their is someone willing to teach them. That willing person also has to believe that the child is capable of learning. He or she will also need tons of patience and a little time. 



I didn't create that pin to make anyone feel inadequate about their own decisions. I made it for parents like me that want to expose their child to as much as possible. Learning can be fun and is a great way to bond with your child. We are our children's first teachers. I will always push my kids to go above and beyond what the standard is. That is what you can expect to find here. 

Be a good Mommy friend and support what your fellow Moms are doing. This is the last time I will address the Kindergarten pin (here, on twitter and my email). Be comfortable enough in your decisions to not be swayed, upset or critical of what someone else is doing. 

Before I go I also just want to encourage everyone to not ever come for Savannah's (or BabyM's) mind again unless it sends for you. I would hate for you to meet "Ratchet Mommy". She isn't about being politically correct for the internet and I don't think she knows Jesus. 

Thanks again for all the positive support. It means more than you know!

12 comments:

  1. Personally I thought the list was great. Everyone should strive to over prepare their children for anything they do in life. I'm not saying the list was over preparing, but some of the negative posts seemed like they were only striving for their children to meet the minimum. There are actually many private kinder programs here in Texas that require all of what was on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. There is nothing wrong teaching more than the standard. To each her own though.

      Delete
  2. I sooooo needed this list. You and I both are going through the same emotions right about now. OMG I love you!

    www.goodlooknout.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was a great idea. Sometimes you just need one negative Nancy to stir the pot. They are certainly entitled to opinions. The key here is to read the captions for the intentions of the original posted. Also...we need to stop taking every "suggestion" offensively. Anything EVER posted....even by a professional is just a guideline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I think some people took offense to it. In return I took offense to some of their comments, LOL!

      Delete
  4. I love the list. Actually exactly where I am headed with Addison.

    So here's the thing about the internet, when we put it out there it is free reign and we have to be strong enough to ignore it. I posted something on Hometalk the other day and I got a ton of positive feedback but the bad was bad. Didn't bother me a bit. I set myself up for it when I posted it. I just think some people dont' know how to keep their negative comments to themselves and that's fine. Sometimes its not malicious in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what bothered me the most is that people were coming from a place of "can't". That kills me. You're right though, I'll need to start having a thicker skin when it comes to stuff like this.

      Delete
  5. I just came back to read this and kee kee over how trill you are. My girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just wanted to say, "Keep in mind that I'm a Momma and I'm sensitive about my…"

      Delete
  6. I teach mine at home and school is just a break for me to relax. My kids were at the top when they entered school. And I plan on keeping it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that no matter where your child learns the parent still has to be their first teacher. Good for you for giving them a good start!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!