Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chic DIY: Maternity Cut Off Shorts

Hey y'all!! This is a quick late night post I wanted to do to show my DIY maternity jean cut offs. I initially wanted to just buy some shorts but after losing several eBay auctions I decided to try something else. Over the weekend I went to Target to find some shorts while my Liz Lange coupon is still good but I didn't like what those shorts did to my butt.

Today I ventured out to Goodwill. After trying on several jeans (and some cute overalls) I finally found a pair that I liked. They fit perfectly. I knew it was meant to be when I realized they were going to get marked down an additional dollar due to their pink tag. So for $3 I'll have some super cute cut offs to take me to the end of my pregnancy. Love that!





This is what I used. You can always use chalk or a marker to mark your jeans but I already had this white pencil in my sewing bag. 


I measured 6 inches down my the inseam. You could always go shorter or longer if you want. I did 6 inches because I wanted to make sure that I didn't cut too much off on my first cut. I was very happy with the length after cutting.


Can you see the white line I used for my guide?


Voila! I haven't decided if I am going to cuff them or wear them as real cutoffs. We'll see. I tossed them in the wash after taking these pics. I plan to wear them tomorrow for a play date to the splash pad.


Just to give you an idea of the length... I could probably go shorter but I don't think I will. I think the shorts that are being sold right now at Motherhood have a 4 inch inseam. The additional two inches make me feel like I could bend over, sit down and stand up without pulling at my shorts. No one wants to see a pregnant woman's cheeks.



And these are the overalls that I just couldn't make work. They were so cute until you saw me from the side or from the back. I couldn't get them to fit both my stomach and my butt properly. It was weird. If I was pregnant during the Fall I probably would have gotten them. I just didn't think I would be happy with the results had I turned these into cutoffs. 

I hope y'all enjoyed this little mini project. I'll try to Instagram a pic of me tomorrow. Goodnight!

- posted from my chic iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness how cute is your baby bump!! And these jeans are fantastic..:well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Since I only have a couple weeks left I didn't want to spend a lot on a pair of shorts. So glad these came out cute!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!