Monday, August 17, 2015

Organizing Mamas: Kid's Play and Homework Space (AFTER)

I may or may not be in a very early nesting phase. When I first started decluttering at the beginning of the Summer I had no idea we had this much crap. Cleaning off the desk in the kitchen was very enlightening. Let's just say that I found a pencil sharpener on the desk after clearing it off.

Mimi and I are revealing our spaces for the Organizing Mamas: Kid's Play and Homework Space Challenge.



This was our desk area before... This was definitely my "Devil Wears Prada" moment of everyday. I'd just slap stuff down on this desk and keep it moving.


The after... This clean desk was achieved by utilizing the empty file cabinet that has always been located directly next to the desk. Don't judge me. Everything that didn't deserve to get filed got thrown in the trash or shredded. I took all of the books upstairs to their new home along with the photo album. Who has a photo album in their kitchen? We did. The pencil sharpener was found behind the photo album. 

I can see our calendar again. There is also a place for my computer now. This makes me so excited!



I had been looking for a bookshelf for weeks. Every thrift store within a decent radius from my house met me and my kids. I didn't think I was going to have any luck finding a shelf. I was tempted to just hop on Amazon and order one but because we might be moving soon I didn't want to buy anything new.

I try not to buy any big ticket items before a move because things always get broken, scratched or "lost". My plan was to find a wooden bookshelf that I could give a face lift. Something that would serve it's purpose in this house before we find new roots somewhere else.




All of the books were located in Savannah's room. I thought it would be a better idea to bring the books out into this spot between the kid's rooms. My hope was that I could free up enough space to make room for a crib in Savannah's room. Savannah has decided that she no longer wants to share a room with her new sibling. I will cross that bridge again when I have to....

Here is the new bookshelf. I found it on Sunday afternoon. It was originally $29 and I got it for $19. If you could have seen me in that Goodwill celebrating... 


I thought I was going to paint this shelf but my husband had a hard time getting it upstairs. I don't think I'll make him take it back down and back up again. That might be overcooking his grits. So I gave the shelf a nice cleaning and filled it up with books.


It fits perfectly in the hall. While putting the books on the shelf it dawned on me that if I made the kids swap rooms that it would be more than enough space for Little Mike and the #grandfinalebaby to share a room, and I wouldn't have to lose my guest room. We'll see. That's another bridge for another day as well.

Our next Organizing Mamas Challenge will focus on a kitchen storage area. I'll be figuring out how to make our kitchen pantry function a bit better. Here is a before of the pantry...


I'll be taking some cues from Mimi on this one because her pantry makeover was amazing. Visit her blog to see how she transformed her kid's play and homework space. Then come back in two weeks to see how we pulled our kitchen storage areas together.

Join our challenge on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Share your before and after pics using the #OrganizingMamasChallenge hashtag. 

 What home projects are you working on right now?

7 comments:

  1. I'm an organizing fool!!!!! But I've been slipping lately! We recently moved and currently living out of boxes! Hopefully I can my life back together. You ladies have just given me a boost to go and tackle my mess(es)! great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand that. It takes time to get settled after a move. Share your spaces with us. With your style, I know I can get some inspiration from you!

      Delete
  2. I need to get my life organized! Hopefully I can join in, I need someone to hold me accountable though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join us! I'll be your accountability partner! The link up is def helping me stay on track.

      Delete
  3. The desk looks totally different! We need a large bookcase as well. I'm not sure where it will go yet soI've been waiting until I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the desk is clean now!! I can't believe it was a real pencil sharpener on that thing. I really wish I could paint that bookshelf. I'm thinking about looking into doing some type of wall paper project on it...

      Delete
  4. Good job! I had to do a double take on that desk too. I remember Mimis pantry. So nice. I will be linking up as soon as I can get a good rhythm going on the blog again. I need some accountability as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!