Monday, November 17, 2014

Date Night Taught Me...

This past weekend my husband and I got out for a very rare date night. We normally only get out for dates when family comes to visit. Because of that I have gotten pretty good at creating date nights at home and had become extremely comfortable with that.

Maybe too comfortable.

Anyway. When a friend of mine offered to come over so that we could enjoy a night out I happily accepted.
Ocho Havana Hotel romantic restaurant
At first I was so worried about how the kids would do and if my house was clean enough to have a friend over in my absence. Then I remembered that the last time we went out as a couple was in February… when we were in Vegas. 

It then occurred to me that I have become one of those people who gets into a routine and never looks left or right for a little spontaneity. My routine and schedule had literally become everything to me. If it's not in my planner the chances of it happening are pretty slim. 

Ocho restaurant salsa platter

Our date nights at home are fun and convenient (and necessary) but nothing beats getting all dressed up and going out. I had no idea I missed getting dressed up so much. What was even more shocking was that I had no idea how much more I'd feel like myself. Like the old me.

statement necklace

I didn't know I was missing the old me. I had no idea that I'd feel different after going out but I certainly did. Even though I'd like to think that I haven't lost any parts of myself apparently some part of me had been slightly stifled. 

Because I have been operating on auto pilot it never crossed my mind that I actually needed to get fixed up and get out of my house after seven. I learned that putting on cute mommy outfits and going to the grocery store and Target are not the same as being done from head to toe for a night out.

That's where I got it twisted.

Family time and running errands isn't the same as a true date night. Even though we're always together nothing is like going on a real date. I had forgotten what that was like. When you're a military wife this is an easy rut to fall into. You get use to the idea of not being able (or feeling comfortable) to go out. 

Before you know it you have trained your mind to forget about tapping into that side of yourself. Or at least that's what happened to me. 

all black date night outfit

Having a schedule and routine is great. For me, it is absolutely necessary. What I learned from date night was that I must also pencil in some time to be the old me. It's okay to accept the help of a friend and rely on someone else to give yourself a break when you need it. I didn't know that I needed to unplug but my friend did. 

Think about the last time you had a chance to unplug. If it's been more than a couple months plan a night out. Don't be like me. Our trip to Vegas was nine months ago. I was long overdue for a night out. 

How often do you get out for dates or time without your kids? Have you ever been blind to the fact that you needed to unplug? Share your stories with me in the comments! 

10 comments:

  1. You look gorgeous, Tia! You are WORKING that lippie! I'm so happy that you and hubby were able to enjoy a great date night. And I totally understand where you are coming from. It's been a while since J and I have had date night and it's starting to show. We definitely need time to reconnect and spent time with each other without the little ones. I'm hoping with family visiting for the holiday season, we will be able to get some date nights lined up---because Netflix night and game night will no longer suffice!

    Thanks for crawling into my brain and reading my mind, girl. I'm going to find the old me and fix her and hubby up on a date! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! That lip is a mix of MAC's Media and Viva Glam with their brick lip liner. I wanted a darker red but nothing too dark so I played around with mixing my reds. I liked the outcome. I hope you and your husband are able to get out soon!

      Delete
  2. You look great!!! We actually went on a date yesterday. We probably go on about four dates a year. So we don't go out that often either, but I love it when we get a chance to hang out together like the old days (before kids).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! One of my 2015 goals is to have more real date nights.

      Delete
  3. You look hot. I can totally identify with you. The hubby and I try to have a date night at least once a month. It is so important to make sure you keep the spice in the marriage. Keep doing what you do. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got out! And by the smoking hot looks of it, it was worth it! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the entire look! Glad you guys got to enjoy a date night out sans the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!