Friday, September 2, 2016

32 Things to do Before 33: Read a Self Help Book


One of my goals before my next birthday is to read a self help book. It took some time for me to find one that I was drawn to. I considered reading some of the popular titles that are out right now but didn't pull the trigger for some reason.

A few days ago while we were shopping in the PX I came across 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit. The title was enough for me to stop and scan the table of contents. I'm glad I did.


This book has been such an easy read. It has been helpful and I have been able to truly think about pushing past excuses and obstacles to see commitments and goals all the way through. I wouldn't consider myself a quitter per se but like everyone else I will stop, cut off or flat out ignore things that I find to be inefficient, of no value or boring.

What I didn't consider before this book is that when I cease to see things through (for whatever reason) I am robbing myself of a blessing. It may be a lesson learned, experience, a new friend or possibly something that leads to income at the end of something I didn't think was worth my time or energy.

I have always believed that nothing in life is by chance. Everything that comes into our lives has a purpose. So when God places a dream in our hearts, a thought in our minds or the desire to try something new we must see it through to the end even when we don't "want" to.


I recommend that anyone who sees themselves as a quitter, doubter, over-thinker or someone who tows the line between doing all the things and planning to do all the things but never does any of them read this book. It has given me a better perspective on sticking things out when I feel like they no longer serve my purpose.

I also just wanted to share the book I use for daily devotion again because I get asked on snapchat a couple times a week for the name and title. I use The Women's Devotional Guide to the Bible by Jean E. Syswerda.

What are you reading right now? Do you regret quitting anything?

6 comments:

  1. My sister just posted a picture of the 5 Habits of a Woman book the other day...maybe this is a sign I need to read it also! I have played around with the idea of "quitting blogging"....I honestly have a love hate relationship with it lately. But the month I said I was done I had a huge month, and I kind of let that stop my decision but its something I need to seriously pray about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Carissa! Every time I think of quitting something will happen and I decide to hang in there a bit longer. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be blogging but for now it still seems like something I should be doing.

      Delete
  2. I have seen this book everywhere, Tia! Like Carissa said, this might be a sign that I should pick it up. I do have trouble with planning to do ALL THE THINGS but only crossing a few of them off of my proverbial to-do list. Maybe reading this book will help me with that.

    The part you wrote about robbing yourself of a blessing spoke to me. I quit working on a project a while back because I thought I was wasting time/couldn't see a positive end result with it. Little did I know, it was helping others all the while. You know how it is when we like to see instant results with things, right? Now I wish I wouldn't have quit because I not only robbed myself of a blessing, I gave up on being a blessing to someone else. Lesson learned!

    Adding this book to my wishlist now, Tia. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We never know if something that we're doing is a blessing to someone else. We never know when we're being used to be a blessing to someone else. This book has reminded me of that. It's never too late to pick something back up if that opportunity is still available!

      Delete
  3. I will start self help book and never finish them! I love devotionals, I'm going to check yours out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this one because it mixes bible study in with life application.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!