Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Dinner Idea: Crock Pot Gumbo

I didn't decide to make this into a post until after my house was already smelling like a little unknown New Orleans restaurant. Because of that, there are no during or after pics of the cooking process.

It's a good thing that cooking is a results oriented kind of thing. All you care about is how it tastes and possibly how it looks.

This was so easy and fast to make. My gumbo consisted of:

2lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 Celery Stalk, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
3 cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 pound Andouille Sausage, sliced
1 pound medium Shrimp, peeled & deveined

Start by lightly browning your chicken in a frying pan. Place it in the crock pot. Cover with chopped veggies and sausage. Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 - I didn't have 8 hours to wait). Shred chicken. Add shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp is done.

For my roux I used:

1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons of Flour
1 28oz can of Diced Tomatoes
2 Cups of Swanson's Louisiana Cajun Broth
2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning (or to taste)

Heat olive oil and cook flour until it turns brownish color. Add in broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Remove roux from heat and add seasoning. Poor over crock pot contents.

Gumbo recipe

The finished product was so good. It was a bit spicier than what Savannah and Little Mike will eat so I did end up making them something else. Next time I'll use less creole seasoning, but if you don't mind the heat two tablespoons of creole seasoning will get a nice strong kick.

The steam from the bowl fogged up my lens. This is as clear a pic as I could get. It was sooo good! I ate two bowls and my husband said, "It was bangin'!".

Gumbo



Gumbo recipe



Gumbo

4 comments:

  1. Sounds so good. Now you got me wanting to make gumbo. And wait a minute...I haven't seen that Cajun broth in the store. I NEED that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl yes!! They have all different types of flavored infused broths now. I also really like the Thai broth. They are a must try!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good, I am for sure going to try this out, this Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! It was so easy to do. We'll be keeping this in rotation this Fall!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me!